Question PC won't turn on when GPU is plugged, but will turn on when GPU unplugged.

Jul 24, 2023
I just got my used RX580 2048sp Sapphire Pulse. I have my old Ryzen 3 3200g, 8gb (4x2) 2666mhz (OC'd at 2913), a320 gigabyte mobo, and a 700w psu called Neutron (generic psu, forgive me it was prebuilt).

I have reconfiged the molex and sata power cables behind my computer because it was kinda cluttered. right before i turn on the pc with the gpu plugged in, i kinda forgot to plug the sata power on one of my hdd but it's all working fine as expected. now i restarted my pc, fix the unplugged hdd, and then suddenly my pc won't turn on. i already have an assumption of might what happened; the total watts of cpu, gpu, 1hdd, 1 nvme, 1 sata ssd, could not handle by the psu very well. i tried unplugging the gpu and reset the bios by reseating the CMOS, turn on the pc with integrated graphics — ta-da it turns on. however every time i tried to plug the RX580 it won't turn on. BTW, the used RX580 included an molex to 8-pin adaptor. you all think that it was wrong to plug the molex to 8pin in the first place? (well, it was shipped with it and unfortunately i had to use it because my psu didn't have its dedicated 8pin/6pin power :'>

also i just wanna point out that when the GPU is plugged in the mobo and not in the psu, the BIOS could detect a GPU by auto-enabling the graphics to be set at PCI-e (i assume there is no problem with the GPU, correct me if i'm wrong)

It would be a relief to me if you're all thinking the same as me that the only problem is the generic psu i have.

It might be your generic PSU, and the Moles to 8-PIN adapter which you are using, which is usually not safe and/or recommended. It's most definitely that your PSU also has insufficient power for the system when the GPU is installed, even while using the molex adapter.

You need to get a high quality PSU model if you really want to use the RX 580. That generic PSU won't cut the mustard.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns and woopxie
Jul 24, 2023
it might be your generic PSU, and the Moles to 8-PIN adapter which you are using, which is usally not safe or recommended. It's most definitely your PSU has insufficient power for the system when the GPU is installed.

You need to get a high quality PSU model if you really want to use the RX 580.
same thoughts. but you think it damaged the gpu itself, i'd be too bummed if that's the case. i wouldn't want to refund the gpu right away

Try to upgrade and get a high quality PSU model from reputed brands, like BE QUIET, Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, EVGA, Super Flower, Enermax, Cooler Master just to name a few.

Don't skimp on the PSU since this is the most important component in any gaming PC. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system.

Reactions: woopxie