[SOLVED] PC won't turn on when pressing power button

Feb 16, 2021
Btw, my PC is connected to a surge protector, which is connected to a wall socket, and obviously in order to turn on the PC first i have to flip the switch on the surge protector to "ON".

So today as i tried to boot up my PC, the power button on the front panel of the case wouldn't work, i tried pressing it a few more times and nothing. Both the GPU and MoBo lights were lit, as if they were actually receiving power but the power button was the problem. I was about to try and jump the motherboard with a screwdriver to troubleshoot the PSU but i thought that maybe just cutting the power off from the PC completely for a few seconds would do the trick, so i switched off the surge protector, after some seconds i switched it back on, and to my relief this time pressing the power button worked on first try, the PC booted up properly and so far the PC is running fine.

What's weird is that when i got to the Windows Homescreen the clock was off by about 6 minutes iirc, which i corrected with the real time.
And yes, the PSU switch was ON. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, so i'm not certain if the problem may repeat again.

Could the power button be the problem, maybe the surge protector? I'd really appreciate any help and sorry for making it so long since i tried to give as many details as possible. Thanks!

Specs:
-GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 SUPER ASUS TUF GAMING
-CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3,4ghz
-Mobo: Asus B450M-A Prime
-RAM: 2x Corsair 8GB DDR4 3200mhz
-PSU: Corsair VS650 650w

Solution
Hi, thanks for your quick answer.

My case is indeed a budget one, the thing is that it's 1 year and 5 months old and it's weird that this happened seemingly out of nowhere. Also the fact that the windows system clock was off by a few minutes and that it only worked after i switched the power off and on makes me wonder if the button is really the problem?

The two issue can be sorted out pretty quickly. Jumping the power on pins and replacing CMOS battery. Wont cost you a dollar. You can rule them out afterwards and proceed with your power and video cable then RAM.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
jumping the power switch pin to manually turn it on is always a good practice. There are cases which have broken power switch so rule that out first. It's not a rare issue, it is common specially to those budget case like mine. I literally received a case with broken switch thanks to this troubleshooting practice.

Come back after ruling it out.

EDIT: unusual clock or wrong clock time usually is a CMOS battery issue so replace it too just to make sure, it's dirt cheap.,

Feb 16, 2021
jumping the power switch pin to manually turn it on is always a good practice. There are cases which have broken power switch so rule that out first. It's not a rare issue, it is common specially to those budget case like mine. I literally received a case with broken switch thanks to this troubleshooting practice.

Come back after ruling it out.

My case is indeed a budget one, the thing is that it's 1 year and 5 months old and it's weird that this happened seemingly out of nowhere. Also the fact that the windows system clock was off by a few minutes and that it only worked after i switched the power off and on makes me wonder if the button is really the problem?

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

The two issue can be sorted out pretty quickly. Jumping the power on pins and replacing CMOS battery. Wont cost you a dollar. You can rule them out afterwards and proceed with your power and video cable then RAM.

Reactions: ThinkOutsidePC
Solution