Question PC wont turn on with gpu inside it.

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
My pc suddenly turned off the other day, and wouldnt boot. I took out my gpu and the pc boted up, put it back in and it wouldnt boot.

I dont have another pc to test it in or another GPU.

The PSU seems fine, the fans spin and it powers the mobo when the gpu is not in.

Is there a way to check if my gpu is dead?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Not without another system to test it in, or another GPU card to test IN your machine. What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

What are the rest of your hardware specifications? Graphics card model? How old is the graphics card? How old is the PSU?
My apologies, forgot to add that.

I bought all of this in november of 2016:

16 gb ddr4 ram
MSI 1080 ti 4gb vram
ASUS x99 motherboard
I7 6800k
PSU 850w EVGA Supernova

Ive purchased an extra GPU that will come soon, however im really hoping my GPU isnt dead, since its quite expensive. Also, no clue how this happened, just turned off and wouldnt turn back on :/

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Make sure there is no noise coming from the psu, clicking or something like that. It could ruin your whole pc.
It does click when it boots, but then stops.

Ive noticed its the 3x3 pin connector that goes into the gpu from the psu that may be causing the issue.

If i plug the other 4x4 pin into the gpu from the psu and not the 3x3 at the same time, the gpu fans spin and the lights appear. Maybe a faulty vga cable?

THIS:

Also, are you using cables from a different power supply with that EVGA unit? If so, then that's your problem. You can't mix and match PSU cables from model to model in most cases unless they are specifically mentioned as being compatible with that unit because the pinouts are intentionally different even within the same manufacturers product lines in some cases.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
THIS:

Also, are you using cables from a different power supply with that EVGA unit? If so, then that's your problem. You can't mix and match PSU cables from model to model in most cases unless they are specifically mentioned as being compatible with that unit because the pinouts are intentionally different even within the same manufacturers product lines in some cases.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw
The first thing I did was the PSU paperclip thing, and the psu turned on with fans and everything.

Ive been using the cables from the PSU that came with it also.

View: https://imgur.com/y46lO5c

The image above shows the cable that seems to be causing the issue. I have ensured its fully inside, I have gotten any dust off it and I have also made sure that the vga part connected to the psu is fully connected.

The link I posted is NOT for testing with a paperclip. It's for testing with a volt meter to verify that the basic PSU voltages without a load applied, are correct and within specification. It won't tell you what the system is doing under a load, but it will tell you if there is a problem with the basic function on each rail.

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
The link I posted is NOT for testing with a paperclip. It's for testing with a volt meter to verify that the basic PSU voltages without a load applied, are correct and within specification. It won't tell you what the system is doing under a load, but it will tell you if there is a problem with the basic function on each rail.
I just performed the tests in the video and the voltage matched what he was saying. Should I do the same multimeter test with the vga cable?

Tabbin

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
I'm not sure what you mean by "vga cable". Do you mean the PCI power cables that go TO the graphics card? Those are not called VGA cables. Those are called PCI or PEG cables, and supply power over 6, 6+2 or 8 pin connectors.
Yeah, my apologies I was incorrect.

I've contacted MSI about a warranty and they have agreed, however I still fear it could be my power supply. I'm using a old gpu from my brother, and the computer is working, however I need my 1080 back.

Is there anyway to test whether it could be my psu not having enough power?

Thanks

EDIT: I've just double checked and apparently my pci power cables are called vga on my PSU?

2Tu7Bkd.png

I've been told that they are for the graphics card, which Is why I used them for it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS