[SOLVED] Pc wont turn on

Jul 1, 2019
Hello, a couple of days ago my pc (i've builded it like 4-5 years ago) decided to stop turning on, I've used it the same day, turned it off for a couple of hours and that was it, wouldn't turn on afterwards.
I tried everyhting i could to detect the problem (started with removing the video card, then the ram and lastly the CPU) and nothing. I also tried another working psu and still wouldn't turn on and tried resseting the bios.

Is my motherboard or CPU dead? Thank you very much (Sorry if my english is bad, it's not my first language)

Solution
Just tried starting the system with the screwdriver, the CPU fan spins for like a second then stops (same for the fan of the PSU), then I tried using the button from the case to start the system and it does the same thing (fans spin for like a second then stop), so i guess its not the switch.

It's probably my motherboard then, right? Or could it be the CPU, when i plug in just the motherboard, the PSU works.

Thanks for all the help!
I would suspect the motherboard or the CPU. Normally I would be mainly suspecting the motherboard.....but when you say the PSU comes on with no CPU installed.....I think it might be the CPU.
Does it do ANYTHING when you press the power button?
If not.....it could be the power switch or the lines to the motherboard from the power switch.
If it's not that.....and you tried a KNOWN working PSU........I would suspect the motherboard before I would suspect the CPU.

I think, in general, motherboards are more fragile than CPUs.

Jul 1, 2019
Does it do ANYTHING when you press the power button?
If not.....it could be the power switch or the lines to the motherboard from the power switch.
If it's not that.....and you tried a KNOWN working PSU........I would suspect the motherboard before I would suspect the CPU.

I think, in general, motherboards are more fragile than CPUs.

Thank you for your answer.

Just the power button on the case flashes a blue light for a second (it should stay blue as long as the pc is on), that's the only thing that happens.
Could the power switch be the problem?

Otherwise, i could try get another motherboard, but i don't know if i can find one here.

"Could the power switch be the problem? "
It's possible.
To find out.....you can either jump the switch at the switch (connect the two terminals together with something metal).......or jump the two pins at the motherboard.

If it comes on....it's a bad switch.

If it doesn't come on....it's probably not the switch.

Does it do anything at all when you press the button?

Jul 1, 2019
To find out.....you can either jump the switch at the switch (connect the two terminals together with something metal).......or jump the two pins at the motherboard.

I'm not very good at electrical stuff, but i can try it later, if the switch is bad, does that mean that the motherboard is dead?

Does it do anything at all when you press the button?

No, the button flashes it's blue light for a second and nothing else, the only time that something happened was when i removed everything, and i turned it on with just the motherboard, the psu was working (i could feel it's fan blowing air, just tested it)

Jul 1, 2019
Just tried starting the system with the screwdriver, the CPU fan spins for like a second then stops (same for the fan of the PSU), then I tried using the button from the case to start the system and it does the same thing (fans spin for like a second then stop), so i guess its not the switch.

It's probably my motherboard then, right? Or could it be the CPU, when i plug in just the motherboard, the PSU works.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

Thanks for all the help!
I would suspect the motherboard or the CPU. Normally I would be mainly suspecting the motherboard.....but when you say the PSU comes on with no CPU installed.....I think it might be the CPU.

Solution
Jul 1, 2019

I guess my best option will be to build a new pc then, I don't think i can get another CPU for this motherboard arround here.

Thanks for all the help!