[SOLVED] PC won't turn on!

MeowPotatos

Reputable
Mar 25, 2016
Let me know if this isn't the right thread.

My build's about 5 years old and I havent had any problems with it until about month ago. I went to wake it from sleep and....nothing. It wouldn't turn on. I disconnected and reconnected the power plug to a different outlet and it didnt do anything. So I took it apart and put it back together. Still nothing. Being thoroughly panicked, I called my local PC repair guys and brought it in. They found absolutely nothing wrong with it, it ran just fine for them. They cleaned it a bit and sent me on my way. Only for it to not turn on two days later. So, of course, I took it back. They kept it for the day letting it run and putting it to sleep at various times to see if they could duplicate the problem I was having to no avail. They gave it back to me and I was able to use it for about a week.

Today it's doing the same thing. The motherboard light comes on and the wifi toggle light come on. That's it. No beeping, no sounds, no fans. I feel like Im going crazy here and would love if someone could help me out.

Build:
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core
Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4 GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case
Antec 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
why after 5 years would this become a problem?

Things just wear down over time, nothin we can really do to stop it! I'd recommend getting an electrician to take a look at it though, could be any number of things. Split cable in the wall, loose/missing connections to the outlets, failing breaker.

Just to be sure, do two things:

1. Keep the PC plugged into one of those other rooms (living room, guest bedroom) and continue actively using it as much as you normally would, and keep an eye out for any potential problems.

2. Plug other things into every outlet in your room, if they have decreased or no functionality on most or all of them, it's for sure a bad circuit in your room.
Have you tried plugging it in and using it in a separate room (or rooms)? If the PC repair guys had no issues with it, it could maybe be a problem with the electrical circuit in your room. Test the outlet(s) you originally had your PC in with other larger-load electronic devices (vacuum maybe?) for full functionality also. This will, at the very least, double check that the problem is in fact isolated to the PC itself and not anything external.

Reactions: MeowPotatos

MeowPotatos

Reputable
Mar 25, 2016
Have you tried plugging it in and using it in a separate room (or rooms)? If the PC repair guys had no issues with it, it could maybe be a problem with the electrical circuit in your room. Test the outlet(s) you originally had your PC in with other larger-load electronic devices (vacuum maybe?) for full functionality also. This will, at the very least, double check that the problem is in fact isolated to the PC itself and not anything external.
Okay so, I've plugged it into the living room and a guest bedroom and it turns on! Thank you for that. My question now is, why after 5 years would this become a problem?

why after 5 years would this become a problem?

Things just wear down over time, nothin we can really do to stop it! I'd recommend getting an electrician to take a look at it though, could be any number of things. Split cable in the wall, loose/missing connections to the outlets, failing breaker.

Just to be sure, do two things:

1. Keep the PC plugged into one of those other rooms (living room, guest bedroom) and continue actively using it as much as you normally would, and keep an eye out for any potential problems.

2. Plug other things into every outlet in your room, if they have decreased or no functionality on most or all of them, it's for sure a bad circuit in your room.

Solution