PC1066 RDRAM?!?!?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Ram drives?...explain and example plz.

Can you give me a site stating that the Asus P4T533 only has 232-pin slots please?.

RIMM4800 AND RIMM9600?
Is this RD-RAM or DDR SDRAM? I mean I don't this stuff will be out for another few months or even a year...

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
1. Ram drives mean using RAM as if it were HDD or non-removable drives. Visit http://www.superspeed.com

2. Asus P4T533: Visit http://www.asus.com/index.asp or read the CeBIT 2002 articles on Tom's Hardware Guide (http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020402/p4_2400-02.html) and Anandtech. The memory sockets are compatible with 232-pin instead of 184-pin. Only two slots supporting up to 2-GB. There is the picture, too.

3. RIMM4800 and RIMM9600 are Rambus memory types. R in RIMM means Rambus. RIMM4800 is already here. Samsung RIMM4200 memory modules support RIMM4800, too, though the chips may differ. I have not heard yet exactly when the 64-bit RIMM modules will be available.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Here is the Press Release of Rambus RIMM 4200.

http://www.rambus.com/company/press/pressreleases/2002/020225a.html

Rambus Demonstrates RIMM 4200, World's Highest Bandwidth PC Memory Module

Los Altos, CA - February 25, 2002 - Rambus Inc. (Nasdaq: RMBS), the leading provider of high bandwidth chip connection technology, announced today it will demonstrate RIMM™ 4200, the world's highest bandwidth- PC memory module, at the Intel Developers Forum in San Francisco, California. The RIMM 4200 module represents the next milestone in the RDRAM® memory roadmap for higher performance computing solutions.

The RIMM 4200 module integrates two RDRAM memory channels to deliver 4.2GB/s of memory bandwidth from a single module. Using standard RDRAM components, RIMM 4200 modules operate with existing RDRAM controllers, and enable single module upgrades of dual channel memory systems. Furthermore, with built-in channel termination, RIMM 4200 modules simplify motherboard design and require less than 5 square inches of system board area. The demonstration system to be shown at Intel Developer's Forum uses a low cost four-layer motherboard and modules that fit in standard memory connector footprints using a 232 pin version of the RIMM connector.

The system demonstration of RIMM 4200 modules, featured in Rambus booth number 404 is the result of joint development efforts by Samsung, ASUSTeK, Kingston Technology, Tyco Electronics, and Rambus.

"As a world leading technology solution provider, ASUS is pleased to be the first company to deliver motherboards supporting RIMM 4200 modules," comments Joe Hsieh, Motherboard Division Director of ASUSTeK. "RIMM 4200 modules provide exceptional performance while enabling the use of smaller form factors at lower costs. The ASUS P4T533 with RIMM 4200 support will be shipping in quantities in Q2 2002."

"The RIMM 4200 uses the 1066 MHz speed bin of current production RDRAM to deliver the highest performance available to date from a single PC memory module," said Tom Quinn, vice president of Marketing, Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. "A single module that supports two channels of RDRAM with 4.2GB/sec of bandwidth makes RDRAM even more attractive from a price-performance standpoint."

"Kingston has already built a number of prototype RIMM 4200 modules and achieved high passing yields in motherboards," stated JK Tsai, Director of Technology, Kingston Technology. "Kingston will be ready to ramp its volume production of RIMM 4200 modules to support OEM, System Builder, Channel and other customers when new motherboards and systems ship."

"The 232 pin connector used for the RIMM 4200 modules is electrically the same as the standard RIMM connector," said Okamoto Minoru, vice president of Tyco Electronics. "Our existing RIMM connector has spare pin positions. A minor modification to the casing and addition of pins are all it takes to support RIMM 4200 connectors."

In addition to the system demonstration of RIMM 4200 modules, Rambus will be demonstrating 1200MHz RDRAM operation in a PC and will also be presenting a session titled "System and Motherboard Design for High Bandwidth Memory Subsystems" at the Intel Developers Forum in San Francisco, California.

For more information on RDRAM memory solutions, visit www.rdram.com.

About Rambus Inc.
Rambus Inc. designs, develops and licenses high bandwidth chip-connection technology and provides the comprehensive engineering support necessary for a complete system solution. Rambus' technology and intellectual property are licensed to leading semiconductor suppliers including DRAM, controller and microprocessor manufacturers, ASIC developers, and foundries for use in computer, consumer and networking systems such as personal computers, workstations, servers, game consoles, set top boxes, digital HDTVs, high-speed switches and routers.

Rambus and RDRAM are registered trademarks of Rambus Inc.

This press release contains forward-looking statements. These statements are based on current expectations, estimates and projections about the Company's industry, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by the Company's management. These forward-looking statements include predictions regarding the performance, form factor, availability, volume production, timing, connector modifications, milestones, and costs of systems using the RIMM 4200. You can identify these and other forward-looking statements by the use of works such as "may", "will", "should," "expects," "plans," "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "predicts," "intends," "potential," "continue" or the negative of such terms, or other comparable terminology. Forward-looking statements also include the assumptions underlying or relating to the foregoing statements. Actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements as a result of various factors, including those identified in the Company's recent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its recently filed Form 10-Q, and also including the uncertainty of new technologies; and the uncertainty regarding the technical and market demands for such technologies. All forward-looking statements included in this press release are based on information available to Rambus on the date hereof. Rambus assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements.

Kristine Wiseman
Rambus Public Relations
(650) 947-5319
pr@rambus.com

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Ahh I see. Thank you for all the information. I now understand. Ram drive is a program.. Well in your opinion would you think having 1GB of RIM4200 is enough for performance? Or would you want something faster or want more ram?..

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I don't know if RDRAM with more bandwidth would provide better performance.

However, RIMM 4200 combined with Asus i850E-based P4T533 is the best solution available now (I mean very soon) in my opinion. I only hope the price will not too high!

RAM drives are really good in case you have never used it. If you have more than 512MB memory, RAM drives can help to use the otherwise unused memory. (I don't know if there's a freeware with no 30-day limit, which was one reason why I stopped using the one from superspeed.com.)

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Alright thanks. Well while I was reading an article that I posted before it said:
To counter, Rambus and Samsung co-developed the 4i architecture, which reduces the number of independent banks on the memory die from 32 to 4, reducing the size of the chip and its cost. Samsung executives have said that the 4i architecture will reduce the prices of RDRAM by as much as half; currently, RDRAM is still priced substantially above the more expensive DDR memories as well as the cheaper SDRAM.

Does this mean that the new RD-RAM coming out will be cheaper?

Yes speaking of RAM drives I have it right now but not quite sure what I'm suppose to do with it?.. Lets say I create a 128mb drive.. then what?.. How am I suppose to improve performance with a 128mb drive?... Am I suppose to install something into that drive and use it? because almost everything I have is larger than 128mb..