PC2100 or PC2700 ???

Herby

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
Hey,
I'm going to expand my internal memory and i have a an AMD XP 1800+ processor with an FSB of 266Mhz, I was wondering if it would be of any use to buy PC2700 or if that would just be a waste of money keeping in mind that PC2700 works on 333Mhz.

Greetz from Belgium.

Unless you plan to overclock the memory to 333, then I'd stick with quality 266 memory.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Unless you plan to overclock the memory to 333, then I'd stick with quality 266 memory.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
only if by some miricale you see PC2700 DIMMs going cheaper than PC2100 get the faster stuff, otherwise PC2100, U wont notice anything anyway with a Kt266A type board

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you ever, ever plan on overclocking your CPU by increasing the bus speed, the PC2700 will come in handy.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
It is for now, but when AMD brings out the 333 support for their CPU core the hardware you have will be brilliant.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
yep.

Hammer clock generators support DDR200, DDR266, and DDR333. Rumor is that it might support DDR400. We will se when it arrives.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nothing you use will be noticeably faster with PC3200 on a "DDR266" processor. If you think you may be interested in overclocking, Cas2 PC2700 is a great choice.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1 512MB will give you more stability near the edge (if you overclock).