Question PCI DEVICE has yellow ! mark under device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Hello,

I am looking to see why there is a yellow ! by my PCI device (shows up 3 times), SM bus controller, unknown device in device manager.

I tried updating drivers for it by right clicking but it says it cannot find drivers for the device.

I dont know what these even are to be honest.

it says: PCI bus 0, device 21, function 1, PCI bus 0 device 31 function 5, PCI bus 0, device 21, function 0.

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I recently built a new computer. I have the updated bios, did a clean reinstall of the nvidia drivers and installed the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.

any help would be appreciated

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I am looking to see why there is a yellow ! by my PCI device (shows up 3 times), SM bus controller, unknown device in device manager.

I tried updating drivers for it by right clicking but it says it cannot find drivers for the device.

I dont know what these even are to be honest.

it says: PCI bus 0, device 21, function 1, PCI bus 0 device 31 function 5, PCI bus 0, device 21, function 0.

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I recently built a new computer. I have the updated bios, did a clean reinstall of the nvidia drivers and installed the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.

any help would be appreciated
Did you do a clean OS install or are you reusing a previous Windows install ?

kanewolf

Titan
I used a USB to transfer the free upgraded version of win 10 I got awhile ago, but I purchased a digital key after I installed win 10
If you did a clean OS install AND installed the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer then you will have to dig a little deeper.
Get into device manager. Then get properties for the device. In the properties go to the Details tab and select the Hardware IDs. You will get something that looks similar to this
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1220&SUBSYS_18491221 -- This is the audio hardware in my PC.
You can google that string to figure out what device is having a problem.

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
If you did a clean OS install AND installed the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer then you will have to dig a little deeper.
Get into device manager. Then get properties for the device. In the properties go to the Details tab and select the Hardware IDs. You will get something that looks similar to this
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_1220&SUBSYS_18491221 -- This is the audio hardware in my PC.
You can google that string to figure out what device is having a problem.

This is what shows up for me when I do that:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43E9&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43E9&SUBSYS_86941043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43E9&CC_0C8000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43E9&CC_0C80

kanewolf

Titan

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
What I find when I google that is that it is a serial port for an Intel motherboard. Is this a NUC ? If so here is the driver -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25601/Intel-Serial-IO-Driver-for-Windows-10

I am actually not sure what a NUC is, however I did run the intel and driver support assistant and it says that all of my intel hardware is up to date.
I did a complete clean uninstall of everything on my computer (including clean install of windows 10, nvidia drivers, and things like that). All 3 PCI, SM bus controller, and unknown device still have the mark by them.

This is a completely new build, with all new parts, except for the gpu

CPU: i9 10850k
GPU: GTX 1080 founders edition
PSU: EVGA 1000 W 80 plus gold
RAM: 8 x 2 corsair vengeance pro 3200 mhz
MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming Z590 with wi-fi
I have 2 M.2 NVMe SSD installed into the M.2_2 & M.2_3 slots, but both show up and I can use both. I also have a CPU cooler but I dont remember the brand.

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
What I find when I google that is that it is a serial port for an Intel motherboard. Is this a NUC ? If so here is the driver -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25601/Intel-Serial-IO-Driver-for-Windows-10

I actually figured it out. All of the ! marks are gone. I assumed when I expanded all on the asus mobo driver site that I didn't need to install what appeared to be older versions of things. Installing them all got rid of the ! marks. I do have a question however. Yesterday, before I compeltely uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything, I got a blue screen while downloading a game. This shocked me because I have never gotten a blue screen before, even on my older computer let alone all new hardware. Do you think not installing all of those drivers like I did now may have caused that? Because I did the same thing the first time I booted up my PC, installed everything from the mobo driver site except the ones that I assumed were old and not needed.

I really appreciate your help.

Feb 18, 2022
I actually figured it out. All of the ! marks are gone. I assumed when I expanded all on the asus mobo driver site that I didn't need to install what appeared to be older versions of things. Installing them all got rid of the ! marks. I do have a question however. Yesterday, before I compeltely uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything, I got a blue screen while downloading a game. This shocked me because I have never gotten a blue screen before, even on my older computer let alone all new hardware. Do you think not installing all of those drivers like I did now may have caused that? Because I did the same thing the first time I booted up my PC, installed everything from the mobo driver site except the ones that I assumed were old and not needed.

I really appreciate your help.
I know this is a six-year-old post but this info about expanding the drop-downs was what I needed to know. I've been going nuts over this for days and installing an older driver package fixed my problem. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.