[SOLVED] PCI-E Cables 2080TI

Aug 2, 2020
I am about to upgrade my PSU this coming Wednesday and have purchased a Corsair RM1000x model. This ships with several PCI-E cables but they are all bridged at the end, so there is a 6+2 connector and another 6+2 connector bridged onto the end of the cable. Technically one of these cables could be hooked up to the 2080TI using the main 6+2 and the bridge, however I have read on some forums that it is better to use two separate cables.

Is it ok to use two separate PCI-E cables and leave the two bridges dangling not connected to the card?

Solution
You could do either one:
a) Use two cables with a 6+2 left disconnected for each cable, or
b) use one cable and connect both 6+2 plugs.

I have a 2080 and a Corsair AX1000 and I run the 2080 with one cable. I prefer this method because a) Corsair is obviously confident that their PSU and PCIe cable can provide the rated wattage of the two connectors else they wouldn't have shipped it as such, and b) it makes for better/easier cable management to have one cable vs two and no dangling cables left over vs having them. I mean, PCIe power all comes from the same 12 volt rail regardless of which plug you use, so as long as the wires and output connector on the PSU end is rated for it, I see no reason why it should be an issue.
You could do either one:
a) Use two cables with a 6+2 left disconnected for each cable, or
b) use one cable and connect both 6+2 plugs.

I have a 2080 and a Corsair AX1000 and I run the 2080 with one cable. I prefer this method because a) Corsair is obviously confident that their PSU and PCIe cable can provide the rated wattage of the two connectors else they wouldn't have shipped it as such, and b) it makes for better/easier cable management to have one cable vs two and no dangling cables left over vs having them. I mean, PCIe power all comes from the same 12 volt rail regardless of which plug you use, so as long as the wires and output connector on the PSU end is rated for it, I see no reason why it should be an issue.

Solution
Aug 2, 2020
Thanks for getting back to me, yeah I was thinking using the one cable should be ok. I mean why else would Corsair ship the PSU with those type of cables otherwise? I also agree that having just one PCIe cable will be easier to manage in the case. I asked because of what I heard - some people suggested that using two cables was better in making sure the 2080TI got the power it needed.

I think the people who said that were saying it out of misplaced sense of "well if one is good, two is probably better."

My 2080 is overclocked, and I've measured its maximum power draw at 285 watts (more than your card draws at stock clocks), and I've had zero problems.

I think the people who said that were saying it out of misplaced sense of "well if one is good, two is probably better."

Actually, even some PSU manufacturers recommend using two seperate PCI-e cables, even three if possible, for GPUs with 2 or more PCI-e connectors and a high power draw.

Here's an example (chapter 4 / page 6) from the owner's manual for a Seasonic Prime Utlra Platinum-series PSU.

They don't say you should never use one single cable with two connectors, but they actually do recommend using two separate cables instead of just one, so it is not just something people on forums have made up.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020
Actually, even some manufacturers recommend using two seperate PCI-e cables, even three if possible, for GPUs with 2 or more PCI-e connectors and a high power draw.

Here's an example (chapter 4 / page 6) from the owner's manual for a Seasonic Prime Utlra Platinum-series PSU.

They don't say you should never use one single cable with two connectors, but they actually do recommend using two separate cables instead of just one, so it is not just something people on forums have made up.

Yeah I have seen it on several forums, hence my question. So technically if I was to go with two cables - it's ok to plugin two separate PCI-E cables that are split at the end and leave the split parts disconnected?