PCI-E voltage is unstable with the smart power LED indicator

AlexBerardo72

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Parts in question:
Gpu: Gigabyte RX580 8Gb Psu: Seasonic 520watt psu
Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.
Every so often the smart power LED flashes maybe once, twice, or three times, then stops. This happens maybe once every 30 minutes/hour. The Gigabyte site labels this as a abnormal voltage as seen here: http://www.gigabyte.us/Graphics-Card/GV-RX580AORUS-8GD#kf.
The system also turns off randomly maybe once day but I'm not sure if that is related.
List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.
I have made sure all power cords were properly plugged into both the GPU and PSU. I've switched the power supply ports in which the cord was plugged into.
On the GPU box it says it recommended at 500+watt GPU and the voltage calculator online stated that my system only required up to 350watts.
A couple questions:
Other than my computer shutting off randomly once in a blue moon I have not noticed any issue with gaming. I can run The Witcher 3 at 1080p ultra 60 fps no issue. Is the abnormal voltage going to ruin my card if I keep using it like nothing is wrong?
Could the computer shutting off randomly be related to this?
Thanks.

Solution
i had the same problem with rx 570 and sea sonic 520 watt psu, i swapped in a evga 600b psu, problem went away, sea sonic psu power was split into 2 12v rails, evga has 1 12v rail.
pc never shuts off anymore, but recently the power led flashes every once in a while, only while browsing the web though. never happens while gaming or under load.

pc specs
I3 7100
asus b250 plus motherboard
gigabyte rx 570 4gb
hyperx predator 2x8gb 2400mhz ram
evga 600b psu
sandisk g26 ssd 480gb

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the Seasonic unit? Pertaining to that question, you forgot to include the full system's specs since 500W is the total system draw without any overclocks. Mileage will vary when you look at an AMD platform as opposed to an Intel platform. Furthermore the age of a PSU will be critical since capacitor wear and tear will degrade the PSU effective power output.

If the system powers off when under load or even abruptly then the PSU is incapable of delivering the necessary power. Abnormal voltages can ruin more than just your card, but your entire system.

AlexBerardo72

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

The unit is brand new.
Here are the full specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600 (no overclock)
GPU: Gigabyte RX580 8GB
Memory: Corsiar LPX 8GB DDR4 RAM
Storage: 520 GB SSD
Mobo: MSI PC Mate B350 AM4
PSU: Seasonic 520Watt Bronze PSU ATX 12V
Peripherals:
K70 Cosair RGB keyboard + RGB mouse

Is replacing the power supply something I should look into.

m0wkiee

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I have the same problem. Although I have an RX 570 card but same PSU (seasonic 520W bronze). Have you found any solutions for this? I am going crazy with this thing going on. I am getting paranoid. Help! :ouch:

nismo_sean

Prominent
Nov 22, 2017
i had the same problem with rx 570 and sea sonic 520 watt psu, i swapped in a evga 600b psu, problem went away, sea sonic psu power was split into 2 12v rails, evga has 1 12v rail.
pc never shuts off anymore, but recently the power led flashes every once in a while, only while browsing the web though. never happens while gaming or under load.

pc specs
I3 7100
asus b250 plus motherboard
gigabyte rx 570 4gb
hyperx predator 2x8gb 2400mhz ram
evga 600b psu
sandisk g26 ssd 480gb

Solution

mobius19

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Im having the same problem, almost the same build as OP, and experiencing this even under load while gaming, i have a ryzen 3 2200g (no manual oc, just using turbo mode), msi b350m pro-vd, 8gb crucial ballistix oc'd at 3200mhz, and a gigabyte rx580 4gb, same psu with seasonic, with 1 ssd, 2 hdd, 4 120mm led fans, i already changed the psu with a borrowed brand new seasonic m12ii-520 also, but still having the random blinking...what should i change? could the gpu possibly be one of the problem here? or go with a higher 620w seasonic or a different brand like EVGA 500/600?