PCI-e x1 SATA III expansion card - Worth it or not?

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
hi

planning to buy an SSD soon (samsung 850 evo) but my mobo currently only support upto SATA II, which is only 3Gb/s. i would like to utilize full speed of the SSD as i dont have one and this will be my first one.

so the question is, will the PCI-e expansion card to SATA III bandwith be capped cause it is not x16? my mobo only have to pci slot, PCI-e 3.0 x16 which is for gpu and PCI-e 2.0 x1 which is empty. need suggestions and insights. ty

I would not bother.
The big benefit of a ssd is the low latency which comes into play for small random I/O.
That is what windows does 90% of the time. It is some 50x faster than your hard drive.
On the sequential side, your data transfer speeds are slower with sata II compared to III, but still faster than a hard drive.

I think x1 will potentially give you the better transfer speeds.
But, you may have issues with a pcie add in card for bootable devices.

My advice is to keep it simple and go with a straight sata connection.
You will be pleased.

With the Samsung, you can use the free ssd C drive mover app to move your c drive to the ssd if it fits.
Download the app manual from Samsung for the details.

iDamnIT

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
thank you for the answer and suggestion.

the only noticeable difference between SATA II and SATA III or even M.2 are the transfer (R/W) speed right? Launching general apps or some games should not be far off between each other.

and im planning to do a fresh clean install on the ssd as the current one on hdd are kinda corrupted in a way, not functioning too well. and then just remove window files on the hdd, but keep all the programs.

off topic - copy paste exisiting programs from hdd to new ssd OR install it all over again to the ssd?