Question Pci express 2-3 and 8-16 GT/S

maraxion

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
So I changed out my old video pci express 3.0 16x card with a newer express 3.0 card 8x card. Both are old cards, and yes its strange that the newer card only have 8x.

My computer is even older, supporting pci express 2.0 16x. Now that has a theoretical speed of 8GB/s. The same as the pci express 3.0 8x.
But since the card is limited to 8 lines, it wil fall back to maximum of pci express 2.0 8x right so 4gb/s(5gb/s)? Even if my mainboard can handle 8gb/s at 16x, but the video card cant utilize that since its 8x?
Or is there any way to get a 8x card to utilize 16x speed, and thus increase the speed from 4(5) to 8 gb/s.

Lutfij

Titan
It'd help us two fold if you could list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? You mentioned a GPU before and after, what are their makes and models?

But since the card is limited to 8 lines, it wil fall back to maximum of pci express 2.0 8x right so 4gb/s(5gb/s)?
Even if my mainboard can handle 8gb/s at 16x, but the video card cant utilize that since its 8x?
Yes.
Or is there any way to get a 8x card to utilize 16x speed, and thus increase the speed from 4(5) to 8 gb/s.
No. Not physically possible.

Note - if card is PCIE 4.0 x8 and you use it on PCIE 4.0 capable system, then bandwidth is the same as PCIE 3.0 x16.

Reactions: maraxion