pci express MBs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I doubt we'll see an SIS based PCI-E board prior to an intel one - but maybe at the same time.

In that Asus model number, P4 indicates it's a P4 board, S indicates it uses an SIS chipset, and 800 indicates the maximum FSB speed.

So no, you cannot use an AMD processor in that board. You should be able to use that DDR1 memory as it uses the 665 northbridge.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.7 i815*

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Asus i915 (Grantsdale) board will be called the <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/business/20040320/images/asus_p5g02_big.jpg" target="_new">P5G02</A>.

It will use DDR2 which means you cannot use that memory you linked to.

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I'm trying to figure out what to buy for my top of the line gaming rig.

I had everything figured out.

I was going to buy a AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 socket 940, a nForce3 Pro 250 and this type of memory

<A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=30255" target="_new">http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=30255</A>

and maybe this case:

<A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=541440&Sku=D15-1002" target="_new">http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=541440&Sku=D15-1002</A>

But now my friend just told me to wait for pci express. Should I wait for pci express MBs? Will it be better then what I was going to buy?

And with pci express what's the top of the line cpu for gaming?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 04/27/04 10:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you're ready to buy it now, just buy it now. I don't think we'll see cheap PCI-E solutions in mass quantitys until the end of the summer.

pat

Expert
damn..that the second time you start a thread about your next computer...still not got it? You know what? When PCI xpress will be here, there will be new technology ahead so you'll still be here asking question instead of playing with the great game that are out now.

Common..get a life!

What would that be when you'll need a car? I guess you'll take the bus for all your life because they announce new car with new technology and new equipement every years!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Who thinks there's going to be something better then pci express next year?

I don't think there's going to be something better then pci express next year or the year after that.

And like I said. I won't be being my parts now. I will buy them next month or the month after that because I don't have enough money.

So I'm waiting for pci express. I just need to know the best type of cpu and memory for it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 04/28/04 03:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TooBored

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Ok, this is how I understand PCI express: The PCI bus is slow, it runs at 33mhz, and is about 10 years old. PCI express uses serial as opposed to parallel transfer. This is mainly b/c CERTAIN needs have arisen, i.e. high quality video streaming (perhaps through an integrated firewire, which DOES go through the PCI bus) and large file transfers over the internet (all ethernet transfers go thorough PCI bus also). PCI express is designed to alleviate this, and get rid of AGP, which was kind of a stop-gap measure anyway. That being said:

no graphics card today can use the full bandwidth of the AGP bus. They probably won't be able to for another couple of years. Also, most major chipset vendors have created solutions to allow ethernet traffic to move faster (i.e Intel's CSA, and NVidias integrated MAC controller). That being said, your gaming box will probably not benefit noticably from a pci express mobo, but you will:
- pay extra for the mobo
- pay extra for a pci express video card
- pay extra for any pci express pci cards.

basically, if you get PCI express right off the bat, you're just going to pay through the nose for bleeding edge technology that isn't going to get you any extra IQ or FPS. PCI express is undoubtably cool, but since it requires the design of entirely new mobos, it will be accepted slowly. And as for other technologies, DDR2 and DDR3 are coming out soon, and thats f**king cool too.

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
I still going to buy a pci express motherboard. Because in like 5 years I'm going to need a pci express graphic card and it doesn't make sense to buy another mb in 4-5 years. It's a waste of money I think unless I sell my old one. But I might not be able to sell it.

Does anyone here know if the chips in the first pci express mb's will be faster then the nforce 3 pro 250?

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Having a nice comp that plays games decently and upgrading once every 5 years are mutually exclusive goals. 5 years ago, 600MHZ was the bomb for a comp, ram was ungodly slow, FSB speeds were ass. I built my 1.2 Athon system in July of 2001 and I need to upgrade it now. I can't imagine what I'll think of it in 5 years. Anyway, even when PCI express comes out, it'll be ungodly expensive and buggy. It makes more sense to let PCI express push prices down on primo non-PCIex components and then buy those.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Well, since they haven't really been tested yet, that would be hard. But whenever you have a massive hardware move like this, new code needs to be written to interface with it, pinouts on mobos have to be changed. SATA is an awesome technology, but people are still having problems with it since XP doesn't recognize SATA drives until SP1. Some hard drive imaging programs don't work correctly with SATA. In another year, most of these problems will be ironed out. Point is, new technology always means compatibility issues. I've read threads in here about how VIA chipsets that claimed to be able to support 133 FSB weren't at first able to support it due to stability problems.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
There major advantage to go with PCI express base solution

1 Bandwith increase there not much need in game but 3D rendering make great use of faster interface.

2 Less latency 2.5GHZ lane vs 66 MGHZ or 33 MGHZ.It hard to know by how much.

3 Also there wont be waiting latency for turnaround bus.Wich is about 5 to 10 cycle at 66 mghz or if you want the GPU that run at 500 mghz will have to wait 50 or 100 cycle before a write back or read to the ram systems can be done.

4 better command control utilization.It totaly kill the need for optimization in command queing as it have 4 time more command control bandwith (similar to RDRAM).The only need you have it a small little buffer and a very simple interface.RAM utilization will be higher as MCH will have a larger choice of command to excute (out of order) no less turnaround bus for the MCH also so more bandwith and less page miss less latency on ram sub systemes.

5 PCI express base offer 2.5 more current to the GPU that AGP 8X so the need of external molex like G6800 or X800 will not be a critical point also more simple power circuit inside the GPU and GDDR 2.

6 Less pin count it will simply the package of GPU.PCI express base will use less pin while having better specification on command\control and power transmision.Reducing PCB and GPU package cost of production.

i need to change useur name.