[SOLVED] PCI Express x16 vs x4

Jan 26, 2019
Hey guys,

I recently moved country with my PC and I needed to ship my stuff over and unfortunately found that the PCI Express x16 Lane (PCIE2 in the image) had broken with my graphics card in it during shipping so I was forced to reconnect my GPU to the x4 Lane (PCIE4 in the attached imaged). My PC is working now however I am just wondering if anyone might know how big of an impact will this have on my performance.

Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB GDDR5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor

Attached image from Manual showing the ports: https://imgur.com/3kuSl0R

Thanks for your help!

Solution
Even a 1080 only sees a 4% decrease in performance at x4. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/24.html A lower end (relative to a 1080) would be less affected or not at all. I'd guess ~2% at most and you wouldn't even notice that. It may change more than that just from running more background processes while gaming.

A 2080ti only sees 6-9% so 10-15% is overstated. There's a reason why egpus have gained popularity when x4 has become available and creates a negligible bottleneck.

There's actually a big different to expect . But also it's kind of depending on GPU... Generally you will miss 10%-15% performance on x4 over x16

But in your case i don't think it will be a huge impact.. mainly your not running a A-series CPU so physical x4 slot should still act like a x16

Jan 26, 2019
[/quotemsg]
There's actually a big different to expect . But also it's kind of depending on GPU... Generally you will miss 10%-15% performance on x4 over x16

But in your case i don't think it will be a huge impact.. mainly your not running a A-series CPU so physical x4 slot should still act like a x16

[/quotemsg]

After just a bit of playing I haven't noticed any major differences in FPS aside from a weird issue in siege where I need to restart after every game otherwise I get a around 50% FPS drop for the rest of the time. But probably just an issue with that particular game and gonna reinstall. Thanks for the response!

Jan 26, 2019
[/quotemsg]

[/quotemsg]

After just a bit of playing I haven't noticed any major differences in FPS aside from a weird issue in siege where I need to restart after every game otherwise I get a around 50% FPS drop for the rest of the time. But probably just an issue with that particular game and gonna reinstall. Thanks for the response!

Even a 1080 only sees a 4% decrease in performance at x4. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/24.html A lower end (relative to a 1080) would be less affected or not at all. I'd guess ~2% at most and you wouldn't even notice that. It may change more than that just from running more background processes while gaming.

A 2080ti only sees 6-9% so 10-15% is overstated. There's a reason why egpus have gained popularity when x4 has become available and creates a negligible bottleneck.

Reactions: doneanddone
Solution

Which is why i told that it will depend on the GPU. GTX 580 benchmarks comes 10-15% performance drop in x4 over x16.

TRENDING THREADS