PCi GeForC3 2 Mx

G

Hi i have a 667mhz compaq computer i got as a present, when i first opened it i notices there were no agp slots and i wanted to get a good video card in the pci. Right now i have a voodoo 3 2k and when i am playing q3 i get 25-35 fps wheh i am in detailed parts of a particular map. Can the PCI version of the GeForce2 help me or will the bus speed of the computer only give me a slight advantage. The Motherboard was made by compaq and they made sure that i couldnt o/c the fbs, right now its at 66mhz. thanks in advance.

G

First thing, is your computer is 667mhz Intel P3 or Celeron? The Celeron is in fact a 66mhz bus speed CPU as the P3 is a 133mhz bus. The bus speed for PCI is 33mhz, AGP is 66mhz. If you have a Compaq computer with a Celeron in it than this will always hold your computer back, always!! With 3DFX cards not much of a gain was realized by AGP ports due to design, but the 3dfx cards always performed well in a PCI slot compared to the same version in an AGP slot. You might try lowering the detail a little if you want to keep the same resolution. You could build a new computer and see huge performance gains still using the 3dfx card. You could get a case, motherboard, and AMD Duron 600mhz CPU that could be clocked to 900mhz reliably for around $200.00, plus memory of you liking for around $70.00 for 128mb of PC133 memory. I would imagine you could still use the hard drive from your Compaqtor, but would probably need sound, modem, CD and floppy to finish it out.

** You get what you pay for, or what somebody paid for it!

G

Its a celeron, but i just wanted to know if the preformance of the GeForce 2 mx will be noticable enough for me to buy it. I also have another computer a p2 400 and it has an agp slot, do GeForce cards work well with lower end processors. So i can use the 400 p2 as my main computer.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your PCI slot will be a bottleneck in terms of performance. In my opinion, it's not worth upgrading unless it's AGP.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
compaq's Rule!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

im a funny person

compaq sucks its true, its true

go for a voodoo4 4500 agp, Pci vs agp w/ the voodoo series there is a 3 to 4 fps difference.

ABIT BP6 + ATI RADEON 32MB DDR RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!