PCI issues On MOBO MSI GAMING 3

bignarso

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
hello guys, i have been having issues with the PCI slots (my issues are with PCI , not PCIE)

I have a MSI GAMING 3 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-3.html#hero-overview
Iam using old PCI sound cards "Creamware PULSAR II" they come with DSP processors that do the audio processing themselves instead of using CPU, this kinda stuff was popular back in early 2000s late 90s. Not only that, these soundcards have a great sound and audio plugins and tools that i cannot live without :)

Anyway i have alot of issues using these pci cards here, half of the time they dont work, this is been happening for a year now, i have talked with the brand that used to make these soundcards, also taking with people that have been using this system for over10years now, and everyone points to my motherboard has the issue.
Its like they are not getting the power they need? Iam also using a msi r9 390x that uses alot of power (was the reason i got a NOX 850w modular PSU, that is a bit overkill)

My other issue is, the German store that sold me this MOBO to me is now closed... so i cant trade for another one using warranty... Iam thinking on Contacting MSI to see if i can trade this MOBO for a new one, but i would like to show some proof of my PCI issues, some data.

So my questions are:
Are there any tools, any software that tests PCI performance? or something that will tell me if this MOBO has pci issues or not? So im sure if this is really a MOBO issue at all, or so that i can have some data to contact MSI... what can i do? what would you do in my case?

ramm: 32gigs
psu: nox 850w
gpu: r9 390x
cpu: i7 4790k
mobo: MSI GAMING 3

Solution
Your chance of getting a new mobo or a refund from MSI is really, really low. They will point to the possibility that in this case, your soundcard is failing because of old age (even if that isn't true).
You need a very experienced PC-engineer that has the devices to check if the PCI-slot is not delivering enough power.
You are using XP, so that there are no driver issues with newer Operating systems?
I'd start with trying your soundcard (a very interesting device in fact) with another PC, like from a good friend, to make sure it really IS intact.
After that, come back here.

ragnar-gd

Reputable
Your chance of getting a new mobo or a refund from MSI is really, really low. They will point to the possibility that in this case, your soundcard is failing because of old age (even if that isn't true).
You need a very experienced PC-engineer that has the devices to check if the PCI-slot is not delivering enough power.
You are using XP, so that there are no driver issues with newer Operating systems?
I'd start with trying your soundcard (a very interesting device in fact) with another PC, like from a good friend, to make sure it really IS intact.
After that, come back here.

Solution