[SOLVED] PCI Sata Card Bottleneck?

Mar 20, 2020
Hey guys!

I have a machine with a motherboard that has 6 SATA ports onboard. SATA 0 is shared with an onboard M-SATA slot, which I'm using for an M-SATA SSD, so I have to leave SATA 0 empty. 1,2,3,4 and 5 are used. I also installed a 6 port PCI SATA controller card into a PCI-E x16 slot. I have nothing in the other slots. I've connected 4 drives to this successfully and it's worked great with them, but when I try to connect more than 4 (ie. connect drives to the final 2 ports on the card) they refuse to detect in windows! I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what might be happening here. Is it being bottlenecked somewhere thus not allowing any more drives? If I remove another drive on the card then the new drive is detected, so I definitely think there is a limitation somewhere. Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
I see now that you said you put the card into an x16 slot, not that it was an x16 card, my bad.

Yes, I was aware of the availability of Host cards, I just wasn't familiar with one being x16 and only having 6 sata ports on it. Those are usually x1 or x4 cards, with x1 being the most common.
Mar 20, 2020
Which card do you have?
I cant recall any x16 card that only had 6 Sata ports on it.

You can get PCI-E cards with number of ports ranging from 1 up to even 16! They are not neccessarily "x16" cards. This just depends what slot you use them in.

Regardless, I found that this was in fact a fault with the card. I purchased an 8 port card and this worked fine.

Thanks for your help anyway guys.

popatim

Titan
I see now that you said you put the card into an x16 slot, not that it was an x16 card, my bad.

Yes, I was aware of the availability of Host cards, I just wasn't familiar with one being x16 and only having 6 sata ports on it. Those are usually x1 or x4 cards, with x1 being the most common.

Solution