pci slot in the way of pcie x16 slot Please Help

Connor Newell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
hi im just about to build my friend a computer and the pci slot is higher than my pcie x16 slot so when i put my graphics card in it hits off the pci slot.
im going to run 2 asus radeon hd 5770 in crossfire.
i cant put it in the other pcie x16 slot my mobo is the MSI A78M-E45 AMD FM2+.
if i use a riser im not sure it will fit in my case which is a fractal design core 1000.

Solution
I may be wrong, but I'm thinking they're loosely calling a dual-graphics set up (discrete card and APU) a Crossfire config. It just strikes me as odd that it while it lists dual-graphics on the Overview page, it doesn't list Crossfire. Additionally, I didn't see anything in the manual to suggest Crossfire was supported.

Again, I could be wrong.

-Wolf sends

Connor Newell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

no its just the pci slot is higher than the pci x16 slot and my graphics cards are quite large as you can see here http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/EAH5770_CUCore2DI1GD5/

Wolfshadw

Titan
I may be wrong, but I'm thinking they're loosely calling a dual-graphics set up (discrete card and APU) a Crossfire config. It just strikes me as odd that it while it lists dual-graphics on the Overview page, it doesn't list Crossfire. Additionally, I didn't see anything in the manual to suggest Crossfire was supported.

Again, I could be wrong.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Connor Newell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

thanks wolf how can i put the graphics card in if the pci slot is higher than the x16 slot

Connor Newell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

yeah its the right card will 2 cards being close cause heat issues i do have a fan near it

Wolfshadw

Titan
The PCI slot should provide sufficient clearance between the two cards as to allow airflow between them. I would note that if you attempt to install a second HD5770, you may lose access to your front audio and USB 3.0 ports (located directly beneath the second PCI-Ex16 slot).

-Wolf sends

Connor Newell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

is there anything i could do to stop it from covering up audio i wont use usb 3.0 as my case doesnt support it

Wolfshadw

Titan
*IF* the cooling shroud of the graphics card covers the front audio port, there's nothing you can do (other than performing surgery on the graphics card cooling solution). If you already have one of the HD5770s, install it into the second PCI-Ex16 (x4) slot and see if you still have access to the audio port. No need to turn the system on. You're just checking the clearance of the cooling shroud.

-Wolf sends

Connor Newell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

hi wolf i barley have access i can get the connector in fine but it bends it a tiny bit will it be ok