PCI vs PCIe network card (wired. not wireless)

Apr 23, 2018
I'm getting 200 Mbps internet speed (that should be the max, anyway).
Due to slots space limitations on the motherboard, I can get a NIC on PCI and not the PCIe.
Can I get the maximum 200 Mbps internet connection via PCI?

(The on-board NIC is 10/100Mbps - that's why I need an external NIC with 10/100/1000Mbps)

Thanks

Solution
The pci card can in theory run to 1gbit. If you have a pc that only has 10/100 onboard nic it must be fairly old. On older machines you maybe bottlenecked by the cpu/memory/disk. It is not that a new nic would not operate say at 1gbit it is that the rest of the machine can not take data that fast.

It is very dependent on other factors in the machine but the nic itself should be able to run/connect at 1gbit.
The pci card can in theory run to 1gbit. If you have a pc that only has 10/100 onboard nic it must be fairly old. On older machines you maybe bottlenecked by the cpu/memory/disk. It is not that a new nic would not operate say at 1gbit it is that the rest of the machine can not take data that fast.

It is very dependent on other factors in the machine but the nic itself should be able to run/connect at 1gbit.

Solution
Apr 23, 2018

Any way to check it before buying the NIC ?

kanewolf

Titan
Let's say you can only get 150Mbit throughput because of other limitations in your old system. Is that enough of an improvement for the cost of a PCI NIC card? You aren't able to use all the WAN bandwidth you are paying for, but it is still an improvement. Only YOU can determine if that is worth it or not.
Knowing that you have limitations, you could upgrade to a lower tier WAN service, save the $$$ and put that toward a system replacement.

Apr 23, 2018

Can there be a difference between the internet bandwidth I can get via PCIe and via PCI?

kanewolf

Titan

Probably not. 200Mbit wouldn't max either bus. But what the actual speeds you get on your platform can't be estimated.