Question PCIe 16x to PCIe 4x riser cable?

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Hello all!

I'm looking for a male PCIe 16x to female PCIe 4x riser cable if that is such a thing. I find plenty of 16x - 16x cables, but less cables intended to mate a smaller card with the normal large slot. The application is a Mini-ITX build with a huge PCIe 4x card that is going to not have enough vertical space but enough horizontal space if I use a riser cable. I could use a 16x - 16x, but I'm hoping to find something that fits the situation a little better and potentially have clamps on either end to hold the card securely. 3.0 or 4.0 doesn't really matter, but I'm just having a heck of a time finding a cable that can (at least on the mobo 16x slot) be held in place securely (I understand it may be a taller order for a 4x clamped slot). I didn't know if there was a magical place to obtain such a riser cable, but thought this was the place to find out if there was one. The clamps are the "magical" thing I'm really looking for since this build is going to be shaken quite a bit, so that 16x male component is pretty important and I can't just use a normal 4x - 4x cable, if that clarifies it at all. Maybe there is some kind of shim that can secure the card in a 16x - 16x case? I just don't know as much about risers.

Thanks!

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Can you show any photos with your pc case/pcie card, to better understand, what you're dealing with?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I cannot. I do not have the parts yet (this is part of the planning process) and the case is a very non-standard design I cannot display (it's a larger assembly of a number of integrated instruments... if that helps explain why I cannot show it :/ ).

I guess the best way to think about it is there is a small space for the motherboard to fit with the RAM barely fitting and heatsink going through its own hole in the "ceiling", then there is a space beside the motherboard where using a cable to move the "location" of the PCIe slot would allow a card about as large as the motherboard to lay beside it. It would need about 200mm of cable to reach this particular space.

The desire for clamps and a specific 16x to 4x cable has more to do with securing the card so it doesn't jiggle loose, a issue we've had even when the card in question was directly on the motherboard.

If it helps, something like the following, but a 4x female side:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SBMFCGG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details