[SOLVED] PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2021
Hello,
New member here although I come here for reference quite often, but have never had a question until now.
I am using (don't laugh) an ASUS M2V motherboard that has a PCIe 1.1 slot on it. I currently have (again, don't laugh) an ATI HD4670 card in it and am trying to install an AMD Radeon R5 430 on the board. I know that the AMD Radeon R5 430 is a PCIe 3.0 card and according to all that I can find, it should be backwards compatible and work. But when I put the card in and power up the computer, all I get is a black screen. No loading info, etc... Nothing.
Any clues or help anyone?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes, it should work. Its supposed to work and I’ve seen a number of PCIe 3.0 cards working in older systems like that. If you’re not getting any display through the card there could be a number of issues:

GPU not getting enough power
Display cable not connected to GPU
Onboard graphics overriding discrete graphics in BIOS settings
Faulty GPU (HD4670 is a 13 year old card, it might have died)
Something else I haven’t thought of

This is incorrect on a general basis especially when dealing with older hardware and newer PCIe 3.0 GPUs. Often the lack of a UEFI BIOS is the culprit. AMD GPUs are more forgiving of this than Nvidia.

Yes, the HD4670 512mb is an old card, as is nearly all of everything that makes up my desktop...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I don't think you should bother with the discrete GPU in that build since you're not going to get you any display output, for lack of a UEFI BIOS environment. Just for the sake of relevance, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Dec 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I don't think you should bother with the discrete GPU in that build since you're not going to get you any display output, for lack of a UEFI BIOS environment. Just for the sake of relevance, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
So, you're pretty much saying that the 3.0 card will not work in the 1.1 slot?
I didn't give all the info that you said "Just for the sake of relevance, please parse the specs to your build like so:" because I didn't see it as being relevant and if you understood what I was asking, it wasn't necessary. Besides the fact; It isn't a "build". Albeit quite old, It is an existing and functioning computer that I am trying to put a different and later model graphics card into.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yes, it should work. Its supposed to work and I’ve seen a number of PCIe 3.0 cards working in older systems like that. If you’re not getting any display through the card there could be a number of issues:

Reactions: WilliamV_1450
Dec 4, 2021
That's not a full model name. Motherboard can not be identified by just "M2V".
Use CPU-Z motherboard section to identify your motherboard.

Well... It IS the model name of the board. It is an ASUS M2V and the model name is pretty much irrelevant as far as my question. As my question pertains to putting a 3.0 graphics card into a 1.1 slot. I only posted the name of the board for relevance of age and the 1.1 PCIe slot.
I don't need to use CPU-Z to identify the board. I know what the board is.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Well... It IS the model name of the board. It is an ASUS M2V and the model name is pretty much irrelevant as far as my question. As my question pertains to putting a 3.0 graphics card into a 1.1 slot. I only posted the name of the board for relevance of age and the 1.1 PCIe slot.
Any PCIe compatible card will work in any PCIe slot. The motherboard and card will negotiate the fastest speed and protocol that they both have available on boot up.

Reactions: WilliamV_1450
Dec 4, 2021

Yes, as far as all that I can find, it should work.
Plenty of power. Corsair 650w
DVI cable connected and secure.
No onboard graphics.
The 4670 512mb card works just fine. It is the AMD Radeon R5 430 2gb card that I am having trouble with.
Thanks for your input. 👍

Dec 4, 2021
(HD4670 is a 13 year old card, it might have died)

Yes, the HD4670 512mb is an old card, as is nearly all of everything that makes up my desktop computer. But it works fine. I am only using the HD4670 512mb because my ATI Radeon 5450 1gb failed and I had to revert to the 4670 until I got another card.
I got the AMD Radeon R5 430 2gb card and it didn't work. Which is the basis of my question. That of which, you seem to be the only one of the three that have replied so far, has got a grasp of.
Thanks again. 👍

Last edited:

SinaTPB

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021
Guess the problem is with your new graphics card
R5 430 is an old GPU so it may be broken.
One PCIe GPU runs on each PCIe slot (1.1 ... 4)
(Example) I am using a PCIe 3 GPU in the PCIe 4 slot
By the way, check out these:
Check the video cable
Check your monitor
Check that you have installed the GPU correctly
If you can use another graphics card

Dec 4, 2021
Guess the problem is with your new graphics card
R5 430 is an old GPU so it may be broken.
One PCIe GPU runs on each PCIe slot (1.1 ... 4)
(Example) I am using a PCIe 3 GPU in the PCIe 4 slot
By the way, check out these:
Check the video cable
Check your monitor
Check that you have installed the GPU correctly
If you can use another graphics card

Yes, I believe that the card is faulty and am returning it to the seller. It was purchased to replace a HD 5450 that failed.
DVI cable is/was connected and secure.
Monitor is fine as I am using it now.
Card is/was correctly installed and fully seated.
I am using another card now. The HD4670 that I had as a backup. Which is why I can use the computer.
Thanks for your input.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

This is incorrect on a general basis especially when dealing with older hardware and newer PCIe 3.0 GPUs. Often the lack of a UEFI BIOS is the culprit. AMD GPUs are more forgiving of this than Nvidia.

Yes, the HD4670 512mb is an old card, as is nearly all of everything that makes up my desktop computer. But it works fine. I am only using the HD4670 512mb because my ATI Radeon 5450 1gb failed and I had to revert to the 4670 until I got another card.
I got the AMD Radeon R5 430 2gb card and it didn't work. Which is the basis of my question. That of which, you seem to be the only one of the three that have replied so far, has got a grasp of.
Thanks again. 👍

For future reference, ignoring the requests of the volunteers here helping you FOR FREE and instead responding passive aggressively and telling them they don't need to know what they are asking is not how to get help here. We aren't sitting in front of your PC, we are trying to help you, again for FREE, the least you could do is work with the people trying to help you. The people you so passively dismissed are some of the most knowledgable on the site, and I as a moderator found your treatment of them insulting.

Actually its not irrelevant, again you're asking us for help, if we need information to help you, give it, you don't get to decide if its relevant or not. because

Your mobo doesn't support EUFI (as already mentioned by Lutfij) which the AMD Radeon R5 430 most likely requires:

http://findhard.ru/en/motherboards/model?id=1589&m=asus-m2v

So the R5 430 is probably incompatible with legacy BIOS rather than it being broken.

Is the correct answer. Which by the way you got in the first reply

I don't think you should bother with the discrete GPU in that build since you're not going to get you any display output, for lack of a UEFI BIOS environment.

Now maybe some of the questioning of you was redundant, but again we don't know all the answers off the top of our heads either. Sometimes context is needed to jog the ol memory.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm glad you got a correct answer here, but in the future respect is compulsory. Work with the people trying to help you, not against them.

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Often the lack of a UEFI BIOS is the culprit. AMD GPUs are more forgiving of this than Nvidia.

Sorry what? I’ve literally never heard of that issue. I run 3060s and 3070s in pre-UEFI motherboards all of the time. I’m sat next to an H61 system happily running a GTX1660 SUPER.

Where have you got this information from? I think it might be very wrong.

I’ve known of the opposite; UEFI BIOS systems refusing to boot legacy AMD cards, but that never happened with Nvidia and I’ve never heard of an old board refusing to boot a newer card. For that to be possible the card would need to deviate from PCIe 1.0 spec, and none I know of do.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sorry what? I’ve literally never heard of that issue. I run 3060s and 3070s in pre-UEFI motherboards all of the time. I’m sat next to an H61 system happily running a GTX1660 SUPER.

Where have you got this information from? I think it might be very wrong.

I’ve known of the opposite; UEFI BIOS systems refusing to boot legacy AMD cards, but that never happened with Nvidia and I’ve never heard of an old board refusing to boot a newer card. For that to be possible the card would need to deviate from PCIe 1.0 spec, and none I know of do.

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't make it not true. Where have I gotten the information from, years upon years of answering questions on this very forum, as well as working with systems for even more years.

Read what I wrote again, often the CAUSE of this issue is that, I did not say that it happens all or even most of the time. To use your own example I've never heard of an H61 board doing it either, and I never had a problem running anything new on my old pre UEFI ASUS M4A79XTD. Its interesting you mention PCIe 1.0 because 1.0 is the spec that will almost always have issues. 1.1 is when the backwards compatibility starts.

However the board this person is using is significantly older, straight up ancient, its at least 16 years old, and many boards like that are not happy running newer PCIe GPUs. Where I have also seen this is on reasonably newer (early 2010's) prebuilt (Dell, HP, etc) non-UEFI BIOS boards. This information can be found on this forum as well as in the Dell and HP forums. I have found AMD GPUs to be more forgiving than Nvidia in this respect. Again though theres no hard and fast rule. Some AMD Rx GPUs are based upon older HD models and don't have issues, some are newer (the R5 430 is a rebrand of the R7 240, which is not based off an older HD card) and might. The issue isn't so much that the BIOS is not UEFI but instead that the legacy BIOS on the board is incompatible. Some are some aren't, the older you get the compatibility goes down.

So back to my reply to you, your initial sentence said "Yes, it should work. Its supposed to work and I’ve seen a number of PCIe 3.0 cards working in older systems like that. " I would say its highly likely you haven't seen a 3.0 GPU working in something THAT old, and I am saying that is not necessarily true because if you exclude obvious issues mentioned (PSU, cable not connected, dead GPU) if its not working that is actually a pretty good reason for it to not work, as we have seen that, especially with hardware of that age.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Dell and HP prebuilds are another matter entirely. The corpo Dells and HPs from 12 years ago had hardware tables in the BIOS that restricted all but a small handful of GPUs from working. It had nothing to do with the fact they were PCIe 3.0 compatible.

Despite your years of answering questions, you are mistaken. There are no PCIe 1.1 motherboards (with unrestricted hardware) which do not support the broad majority of PCIe 3.0 graphics cards.

A hobby of mine is making outdated desktop PCs into viable modern gaming machines. Trust me, I have seen plenty of very modern GPUs working in old PCIe 1.1 and 2.0 boards.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Dell and HP prebuilds are another matter entirely. The corpo Dells and HPs from 12 years ago had hardware tables in the BIOS that restricted all but a small handful of GPUs from working. It had nothing to do with the fact they were PCIe 3.0 compatible.

Despite your years of answering questions, you are mistaken. There are no PCIe 1.1 motherboards (with unrestricted hardware) which do not support the broad majority of PCIe 3.0 graphics cards.

A hobby of mine is making outdated desktop PCs into viable modern gaming machines. Trust me, I have seen plenty of very modern GPUs working in old PCIe 1.1 and 2.0 boards.

I never said they won't work in 2.0 boards. I also never said they would not work in a broad majority of 1.1 boards.

You can keep twisting what I DID say to make yourself sound like you are right and I am wrong, but yet, nothing I said was wrong because it DOES happen, I have seen it happen, and there are examples of it on this very forum. You can't make the assertion about "no PCIe 1.1 motherboards ....." Because unless you've tested every single one, which you haven't, there is no way to know.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I never said they won't work in 2.0 boards. I also never said they would not work in a broad majority of 1.1 boards.

You can keep twisting what I DID say to make yourself sound like you are right and I am wrong, but yet, nothing I said was wrong because it DOES happen, I have seen it happen, and there are examples of it on this very forum. You can't make the assertion about "no PCIe 1.1 motherboards ....." Because unless you've tested every single one, which you haven't, there is no way to know.

I'm sure that it can theoretically happen and even has happened in the past, but there's no reason to assume it is happening to OP.

I think it's much more likely that his R5 430 is simply broken, than his motherboard is incompatible with any and all PCIe 3.0 graphics cards.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29198905 (using a PCIe 2.0 GPU)

I can't find any examples of using a PCIe 3.0 GPU on this board but there's no reason to assume it wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.