PCIe 3.0 Protocol Delayed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
The PCI-E 1.1 to PCI-E 2.0 compatibility is horrible. They should take their time and do it right.
[citation][nom]cdillon[/nom]The best part about PCIe 3.0 is how much more you'll be able to do with just ONE PCIe lane. Think embedded systems, laptops, etc. where space is a premium.[/citation]
Most of the time motherboard manufacturers don't even put PCI-E x16 on anything smaller than Micro-ATX.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I agree with a lot that'a been said here, but I don't think enough attention is being given to potential SSD RAID setups that can easily be built onto motherboards to make laptops and mobile devices smaller.

It used to be I never saw my LAN saturated. Then those Fusion I/O cards and the OCZ cards come to town, and I'm standing there seriously pondering 10GiGE or at least quad port trunking. For the first time in a long time we have devices which, in their first generation, are totally shattering the things they replaced. It reminds me of running GL-Quake for the first time.

Combine this with all the awesome battery, OLED, solar and supercapacitor tech that is developing along side the awesome stuff people are doing with stem cells and advanced biology, and I think it's a pretty neat time to be alive. Cellular level healthcare is going to be cheap, effective, simple once they figure out the details, which, as usual, is the expensive part. In-Car tech is taking off too, but growing whole legs back is a real game changer for hoe people perceive risk and warfare.

Looking at where we've come in the last 109 years, technologically, it's foreseeable that, due to cellular immortality and nanotechnology, some people born even now might not face aging and death in the same way humans have dealt with it for the past 100k years or so. I think thats neat.

Botox and collagen are like using sledgehammers to build microprocessors. There will be much easier and controllable ways discovered to solve lots of issues, maybe basic AI tat can render a good Star Wars book into a real time movie version with your custom fantasy cast thrown in for fun, or a real AI (Which is just as scary as it is cool in the larger sense when you really get to thinking about the global effects that might have, including lightning fast technological development and complete control of DNA and RNA based life just as if it were playdough).

At first, were going to have all those "ethical" complainers, but as soon as they realize that someone is going to want to go colonize the Moon, Mars, Europa and beyond, I don't think they'll mind that there are some of us who actually enjoy watching history unfold, and being active in it.

So I think I'm going to go get a Eurocom Montebello as soon as they offer an Intel 34nm 160GB drive, cause I can dual boot that and use the ESATA for any additional space I might need, and they seem to be the only people willing to pair a 15.4 inch screen with a GTX 260M video card, because I don't want to lug around a 17" 13 pound brick that reaches 200c and requires it's own flux capacitor to boot. It's gotta balance on the chest while watching TV, with no elaborate setup and setting pillows on fire.

PS: No devices I can think of are going to actually use USB 3.0 for like 2 years, if that. Even thumbdrives are ESATA now in some cases.

My only issue is the nVidia 300 series rollout, so I can tell everyone that yes, it runs Crysis Warhead at max settings. If companies used the MXM spec as intended, and provided for the additional cooling or space a new card might need, and added a protocol to tell the system to clock down if needed, the age of the desktop might go away faster than people think.

Just rolling down engadget.com makes me smile...and cringe sometimes.

dlim783

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]PCIe 3.0SATA 6.0 GbpsUSB 3.0enough reasons for me to wait before building my i7...hope prices will go down while waiting.on a second thought... maybe i'll buy and i7 then upgrade my motherboard later.[/citation]

Maybe you should buy it right now. I think you're going to be bored like hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.