[SOLVED] PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD in PCIe 2.0 x16 slot not fitting?

Feb 7, 2020
Hello all,

Before getting to it, I wanted to do a shout-out to how awesome all y'all on these forums have been for me. This is my first time posting but Tom's has been my first place to check to see if any computer questions have already been asked and it's always delivered.

With that in mind, for once I haven't seen an answer to my issue (unless I'm mis-understanding something).

Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 (PCIe 2.0 x16 slot in question)
Processor: AMD FX8320E
SSD: WD Black SN 750 500GB (M.2 Form Factor, PCIe 3.0 x4/NVMe 1.3)
OS: Currently booting Linux Mint via USB until storage is squared away

My understanding is that PCIe 3.0 is backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0, but restricted to the 2.0 bandwidth (which is fine, I'd like to used the SSD in a future set-up). For now, My BIOS/chip may be too dated to support booting from the SSD (haven't gotten quite that far yet lol) but I would still like to use this SSD as storage. But this SSD isn't physically fitting in the PCIe 2.0 slot at all. Best I can describe it, is the "notch" separating the pins is too narrow on the SSD. Even pressing down on it doesn't have it "click" in place like I hoped, though I didn't want to force it too hard.

I've tried to find some writing on this, but everything just says "the 3.0 is backwards compatible" and calls it a day and honestly, it's getting frustrating reviewing countless PCIe YouTube tutorials and forum posts.

I must be missing some key piece of info because from everything I read about the form factors and generations should be compatible physically. Are the form factors different? Did I get a mobile SSD by mistake? Do the pins need to have a specific alignment? Am I just not inserting it correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Your board doesn't have a M.2 socket. You can use an adapter to get it to work in the second PCIe slot but it will only run at x4 PCIe 2.0 speeds as you noted. You also won't be able to boot to it without BIOS mods.
Your board doesn't have a M.2 socket. You can use an adapter to get it to work in the second PCIe slot but it will only run at x4 PCIe 2.0 speeds as you noted. You also won't be able to boot to it without BIOS mods.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
For that board, a top speed NVMe drive is a waste.
Can't boot from it, and won't run at its full speed, even with an adapter as a secondary drive.

"But I'm going to use it in a future system"
So then buy that same drive in a year, when it is cheaper.