[SOLVED] Pcie 4.0 m.2 ssd. with 4.0 motherboard and 3.0 cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

immelmann

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
Hi, i'm building a pc and I already bought Ryzen 5700G cpu, x-570 motherboard and some RAM etc. I'm considering replacing my current system drive with an m.2 drive and wonder if I should buy a pcie 3.0 or pcie 4.0 drive. The cpu does not support pcie 4.0 while the x-570 chipset does. What are the pros and cons? Thank you.

Solution
the m.2 lanes come from the cpu, so they will be 3.0 speed no matter what the mobo has.

feel free to buy a 4.0 drive if the price is right, but it won't change anything. for instance i see the 2 tb WD SN770 (a 4.0 drive) is cheaper than the 970 evo plus which is a 3.0 drive. won't hurt anything to put a 4.0 drive in, but you won't see any speed difference.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
3.0 to 4.0 speed difference is not enough to even worry about it. look at price and what size you need/want and go for it. you won't gain or lose much of anything either way.

not priced em lately but 3.0 is usually cheaper but with the prices dropping fast who knows might get 4.0 drive for same money. again either way you won't know the difference in real world usage

Reactions: immelmann

immelmann

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
3.0 to 4.0 speed difference is not enough to even worry about it. look at price and what size you need/want and go for it. you won't gain or lose much of anything either way.

not priced em lately but 3.0 is usually cheaper but with the prices dropping fast who knows might get 4.0 drive for same money. again either way you won't know the difference in real world usage
May I ask a noob question: what about the ssd-motherboard connection not including the cpu? Does this even exist/matter or all the communication between the chipset and ssd also includes the cpu and is automatically slowed down by the cpu. If this does not make any sense, I'm really sorry :D

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the m.2 lanes come from the cpu, so they will be 3.0 speed no matter what the mobo has.

feel free to buy a 4.0 drive if the price is right, but it won't change anything. for instance i see the 2 tb WD SN770 (a 4.0 drive) is cheaper than the 970 evo plus which is a 3.0 drive. won't hurt anything to put a 4.0 drive in, but you won't see any speed difference.

Reactions: immelmann
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.