Question PCIe 4.0 NVME ssd running at 3x4

Oct 9, 2022
After enabling “support rocket lake m.2 slot” in bios and then boot back up, I get a blue screen with the error : inaccessible boot drive. Looking at Samsung magician I can see my ssd is running at gen. 3x4. When I look at gpuz I can see my graphics card utilizing the PCIe 4.0 speeds. The only way I can boot up is if my m.2 slot is set to support PCH cpus instead of the RKL cpus
Hardware:
Z490i Aorus ultra MB
Corsair vengeance rgb
Corair rm1000 power supply
3080ti

I'd skip reflashing the BIOS, because if there was a problem with updating to a version, either it would've failed and reverted back to the version it was upgrading from or the board would've been bricked. Update mechanisms have integrity checks to make sure that the process was successful.

Though resetting the settings would be a good idea.

EDIT: Honestly though, if you still can't get it to recognize the SSD on the M2A_CPU slot, unless you were planning to add another M.2 SSD, I wouldn't worry about it. There's no practical performance benefit using PCIE 4.0 over 3.0.

Reactions: Malachi1029
Oct 9, 2022
Yes a 980 pro ssd. I cleared cmos and reseated the ssd, but when I try to enable the gen 4 support on the top m.2 slot I still get the inaccessible boot drive error

Oct 9, 2022
I'd skip reflashing the BIOS, because if there was a problem with updating to a version, either it would've failed and reverted back to the version it was upgrading from or the board would've been bricked. Update mechanisms have integrity checks to make sure that the process was successful.

Though resetting the settings would be a good idea.

EDIT: Honestly though, if you still can't get it to recognize the SSD on the M2A_CPU slot, unless you were planning to add another M.2 SSD, I wouldn't worry about it. There's no practical performance benefit using PCIE 4.0 over 3.0.

I can use the slot, but only if in the bios I set the m.2 compatibility to PCH rather than Rocket lake. I use my pc to play back historical data through charts and I was hoping the read/write uplifts of gen 4 would make my work a bit snappier.

Oct 9, 2022
I looked at the manual and noticed on page 5, it says the M2A_CPU is connected to the chipset. On Intel's website about the Z490 chipset, it only supports PCIe 3.0 for PCIe based peripherals.

I don't think this board actually supports PCIe 4.0 SSDs. And I have no idea why Gigabyte would've labeled one of those M.2 slots as "CPU"
Wow that’s misleading. As you said the performance uplift from 3.0 to 4.0 is negligible, but that’s annoying. Thankyou for the help

Reactions: hotaru.hino