[SOLVED] Pcie 4.0 Vs pcie 3.0

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi everyone I'm dazed and confused again, I know that's not hard!

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the rtx 3070. My current 450 board doesn't support pcie 4.0 but Nvidia says it shouldn't make a difference running the 30 series on pcie 3.0? What's the point of pcie 4.0 then?

Should I upgrade to a 550 chipset and does my Ryzen 7 2700x support pcie 4.0 or should I just stick with the 450 chipset?

What's your views on this please.

Solution

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the rtx 3070. My current 450 board doesn't support pcie 4.0 but Nvidia says it shouldn't make a difference running the 30 series on pcie 3.0? What's the point of pcie 4.0 then?

Should I upgrade to a 550 chipset and does my Ryzen 7 2700x support pcie 4.0 or should I just stick with the 450 chipset?

There is maybe 1.3 percent difference on avg in titles with PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0 Buy enabling and disabling it on a AMD Zen 2 system. In benchmarks the gigaflops are much higher but in the real world games just don't know how to take advantage of the technology and by the time they do PCIe 6.0 will...

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
As of right now the point of PCI-E 4.0 over 3.0 is that very slight difference you said. Super minor, very few % fps gains. Not worth it right here, right now.

It might change in the future with RTX IO, but we (in this case me) honestly have no clue since there's no benchmarks yet.

USAFRet

Titan

Rule of Thumb:
Don't change/upgrade your hardware, until the hardware you already have no longer meets your needs and expectations.

Don't chase the theoretical.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the main thing pcie 4.0 is good for right now is storage. but even 4.0 nvme drives are not much faster than the 3.0 ones. it'll be a while until they can get the controller chips and other features to be able to utilize the 4.0 speed.

so as we've been saying for a long time now, the added expense of pcie 4.0 is not worth it right now and won't be for a while yet.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I will stick with the 450 for the time being then. Nvidia IO sounds interesting, that's definitely something I will upgrade my board for when the time comes although with the nvme drive, game loading times are near instant now but instant would be better.

Thanks again.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ampere-cpu-scaling-benchmarks

Their no reason to upgrade to 4.0

EDIT The same thing with load times you might be suprised.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGdI2rNsWiE

I think the important thing to remember with load times is you cannot completely eliminate it. Application loading isn't simply the act of moving data from a storage drive to RAM. The application still has to be configured before the user can even interact with it. You will hit a floor the faster your storage is.

However, where it may end up helping is when assets are streamed in and out of memory. But that depends on if the processor is fast enough to chew through the data at that rate.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I think the important thing to remember with load times is you cannot completely eliminate it. Application loading isn't simply the act of moving data from a storage drive to RAM. The application still has to be configured before the user can even interact with it. You will hit a floor the faster your storage is.

However, where it may end up helping is when assets are streamed in and out of memory. But that depends on if the processor is fast enough to chew through the data at that rate.

From what I was reading with Nvidia IO the GPU will start chewing thru the data as well as the CPU. I'll be interested to see if that would affect the gpu's performance when gaming.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

There is maybe 1.3 percent difference on avg in titles with PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 4.0 Buy enabling and disabling it on a AMD Zen 2 system. In benchmarks the gigaflops are much higher but in the real world games just don't know how to take advantage of the technology and by the time they do PCIe 6.0 will be out. IMO PCIe 4.0 is pointless which is why Intel never jumped on it until just now with their mobile CPU line. There is a reason why the 10900k is still PCIe 3.0. If it was that big a deal Intel would have squashed it long time ago. Ive seen becnhmarks and like I said 1.3 percent or maybe 2 percent at max difference in frame rate. Also PCIe 4.0 SSD in benchmarks looks good but in real world it is same performance as a PCIe 3.0 SSD and what not. 🙈🤷‍♂️✝👩‍🦲💯

Solution