Question pcie 4.0, yay or nay?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I have a meg x570 ace, which can run up to 3 ssds at pcie 4 speeds. I already have 2 pcie 3 ones I plan to use. I consider one of mine a #1 drive and one a #3 drive, so now am going to buy a #2 one.

Now, only a few months ago people were saying pcie 4 ssds were a waste because they were supposedly going to be $400 for 1 tb. Now you can get a 1tb pcie 4 ssd for $170, however.

So it's basically the SAME price for a 1tb pcie 4 ssd as a Samsung pcie 3 one. Would you choose the Samsung or choose the double speed?

On another note, I get good discounts which I could sue on a Samsung to probably get $100 off, whereas I probably can't on pcie 4 ones. So even though the two cost the same, to me personally the pcie 3 9ne would cost half the price.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Btw, my issues with pcie 4 are:
  1. heat and heatsinks... may be too big of an annoyance to be worth it.
  2. if I get a pcie 4 one while my other 2 are pcie 3, it may make me constantly use the pcie 4 one, ie the others feeling like a letdown. Maybe I should just get a Samsung evo for the middle one where at least the jump in speeds isn't huge between my three ssds.

edit: ps sequential vs. random is one of the most confusing things because it seems to me that moving large files would be sequential, but others say that is an example of something not sequential. I see so many different definitions, it gets confusing as to whether there is REALLY a big difference between pcie 3 and 4 in normal circumstances.

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I guess not a single person on the site has a n opinion on pcie 4. lol.

Interesting because people have insanely strong views on pcie 3. Some people say you're dumb if you don't get top notice Samsung. Some say you're dumb if you get those instead of cheaper pcie 3 ones, then some say you're an idiot if you get anything above sata ssds.

At least if I have gone overkill by deciding on 3 nvme ssds I got them at good prices so probably am out an extra $150 to have 2.5tb nvme instead of 2.5tb sata. And that's with me buying the 970 pro a year ago. Had I bought it today I'd be another $50 less spent.

Anyway I am deciding now whether my final ssd should be 970 evo plus for $170 after tax or keep holding up my build hoping it goes lower than this deal I can get today.