[SOLVED] PCIe 4 M.2 RAID

jrich523

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
Im looking to get a Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 (maybe Elite, but not sure it really adds any value) and some WD SN850's 1TB. The board has 3xM.2 slots and I was wondering if having 3x of the SN850 made any sense. It says they are PCIe 4x but it doesnt indicate if they are shared or not.

From what I can tell a single x4 can handle about 8GB/s and the SN850 can read up to 7000MB/s which will pretty much use the entire lane. So if they are independent 4x It looks like i'll get a good bump by striping them, however if its shared, it will likely be overkill.
I know that stripping them wont get 7000x3 but I mostly want to make sure that the lanes wont totally kill me

Also I'll be putting in an 5950x and either a 3080 or 3090 (whatever I can get my hands on first)

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Referring to the manual, assuming you were referring to the X570 Aorus Master and not another chipset, page 31 and 32, the M.2 slots are all RAID capable(with other M.2 slots(not SATA devices) but you will loose out on SATA ports 4 and 5. If you were referring to another chipset, please remember to elaborate on the motherboard you're looking at.

Lutfij

Titan
Referring to the manual, assuming you were referring to the X570 Aorus Master and not another chipset, page 31 and 32, the M.2 slots are all RAID capable(with other M.2 slots(not SATA devices) but you will loose out on SATA ports 4 and 5. If you were referring to another chipset, please remember to elaborate on the motherboard you're looking at.

Solution

jrich523

Honorable
Feb 28, 2015
Yes, totally forgot that it came in other flavors, you are correct that I am looking at the x570. I know its RAID capable and that I will lose sata 4/5 which is ok. Im more so curious if doing a RAID with 3x of the SN850's makes sense.
Thanks!