[SOLVED] Pcie 6 pin splitter or sata to pcie adapter ?

Kc11

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Hi guys,

I have EVGA GTX 460 graphics card on Asus P8P67 LE motherboard with EVGA 430 W 80+ ATX PSU.

The problem is that my 430 PSU has only one 6+2 Pcie cable. Whereas my GPU, GTX 460 requires two 6 pin Pcie cables. I have read that if i use a 6 pin pcie splitter, it can overheat. Is this true ?

Now this computer will only be used for light duty media creation and photoshop etc and internet browsing but never for gaming.

So should i use a sata to 6 pin pcie adapter or can i use 6 pin pcie spliter ?

Thank you for your help.

Solution
You shouldn't use either. You should get an appropriate power supply. If a power supply lacks the connections required for a given graphics card, then that power supply is NOT adequate for the job. PSU manufacturers KNOW what a PSU is capable of handling and if they exclude certain or addition numbers of connectors, it IS for a reason. A reason you would do well to not try and work around.

A 430w power supply is not adequate for running a graphics card that requires two 6 pin connections. Especially considering that none of the 430w power supply models out there were especially fantastic AND more importantly, haven't been sold for some time meaning the unit has also likely been around the block enough times to be old enough that it has...
You shouldn't use either. You should get an appropriate power supply. If a power supply lacks the connections required for a given graphics card, then that power supply is NOT adequate for the job. PSU manufacturers KNOW what a PSU is capable of handling and if they exclude certain or addition numbers of connectors, it IS for a reason. A reason you would do well to not try and work around.

A 430w power supply is not adequate for running a graphics card that requires two 6 pin connections. Especially considering that none of the 430w power supply models out there were especially fantastic AND more importantly, haven't been sold for some time meaning the unit has also likely been around the block enough times to be old enough that it has probably lost some portion of it's original ability to provide 430w, if in fact it ever was capable of it.

I would definitely not use a 6 pin splitter, but I also would not recommend using a SATA to 6 pin adapter either. Get a power supply that has the appropriate connections.

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution

TRENDING THREADS