Question PCIE cable melted onto GPU connector

May 1, 2022
Here are my system specs

intel i7-7700k
Msi z270 gaming m3
Msi 1080ti
Psu: Evga superNOVA 750 g3 80+ gold

I’ve had this system since 2017 and have never had an issue until today.

I figured this would be the right place for this thread because it most likely pertains to power.

I was playing a game and suddenly my screen went black and my system fans started to ramp up. Thinking nothing of it and just thinking it was a crash I restarted my pc with no issue. When I tried to run the game again it worked for a few minutes but the display shut off again the same as the first time. After waiting a minute I decided to restart again and this time the display wouldn’t show and an led on my motherboard was telling me that the gpu failed. Eventually I was able to get the display to show but as soon as windows started and I tried logging in the screen would go black. Sometimes the gpu would run its fans at a high speed.

This gpu requires two 8 pin pcie cables. One 8 pin connector I was able to remove easily but the other was VERY hard to get off. When I finally got it off I found that the plastic from the cable connectors had melted onto the gpu connector. The cables used were after market extensions that plugged into the cables given by my psu. I checked the psu and there is no sign of damage to it at first glance but I don’t want to rule out that being the issue. Again, everything in this setup I’ve had since 2017 and had no issues with them including the cables. Any idea what could of happened?

D

Deleted member 362816

Those extension cables unless a brand like CableMod, ANTEC or Thermaltake are often subpar smaller gauge wire. If a card was pulling allot of power like a 1080ti is it was only a matter of time before it failed. Seen it before. Been there before with some cheap amazon cable extensions.

Similar issues the end of the connector melted to my 6900xt, Card was fine once I removed the extensions and went back to the normal power supply cables.

Reactions: SpaceCadet1130
May 1, 2022
Thank you for taking the time out to reply. I appreciate it.

I had a feeling that would be the problem. I can’t believe they lasted 5 years. All this time it was a ticking time bomb. It has to be the cables because everything on psu side was fine. Didn’t see any issues.

When I first put this pc together I had no idea what I was doing. Definitely taking this as a lesson and I’ll stick to the cables that came with the psu for now

How did you go about removing the melted plastic?

D

Deleted member 362816

Thank you for taking the time out to reply. I appreciate it.

I had a feeling that would be the problem. I can’t believe they lasted 5 years. All this time it was a ticking time bomb. It has to be the cables because everything on psu side was fine. Didn’t see any issues.

When I first put this pc together I had no idea what I was doing. Definitely taking this as a lesson and I’ll stick to the cables that came with the psu for now

How did you go about removing the melted plastic?

Send me a photo