Question PCIe daisy-chain cable vs PCIe single connector power cable for GPU?

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hi everyone. I got my RTX 3060 and replaced my previous graphics cards with it. For power, I used one of those PCIe cables that has multiple connectors (daisy chain cable) but I'm NOT using it to daisy chain the graphics cards - I couldn't if I wanted to, the card only has one 8-pin connection slot. The cable only has one connection on it: the GPU.

My question is, should I have used a single connection PCIe cable or will the daisy-chain PCIe cables function the same as a single connection cable when only using one connection at the "end"? Is there like a "bleed off" of power or something due to the many possible connectors on the same cable? (As you can tell, I'm no electrical engineer. >-<)

I want to make sure my new GPU has the best possible scenario for power, as I am going to use it a lot for heavy gaming, video editing, and such. Does the "type" of PCIe power cable matter in this scenario? I've been using the card for a few days without issue, so I might just be paranoid but want a 2nd opinion. Thanks!

Edit: I'm using The Corsair RM750x PSU for reference.

Last edited:
Realistically it doesn't matter, but if your PSU came with both a single connector and a daisy chain you may as well use the single connector. I used my 1660 Ti (single 8 pin) on a daisy chain connector for quite a while because I didn't feel like re-routing a new cable when I did a GPU swap and had zero issues. Quality of PSU matters infinitely more than the cable type.

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Using a SINGLE PCIE 8-PIN cable is better if the GPU only requires an 8-PIN power connector. Which power supply/PSU are you using ?
The Corsair RM750x. I looked through all my cables and it only came with 2 PCIe cables - both daisy chain. (The picture in link says 4 PCIe connectors, but they are kinda being slick and included only 2 daisy-chain cables with 2 connectors each (6+2 pin) = 4 "connectors" total. Kinda strange.)

There is what looks like a single PCIe 8-pin cable, but it was labeled as "CPU" on its connector and not PCIe as the other 2 were so I didn't use it. Plus, the previous GPU I upgraded from only had a 6-pin connector so I had to run the 6+2 cable at the time.

I am not in a hurry to crack open my case and start digging around with the PSU -which is quite cumbersome to deal with due to my case- to switch out cables unless I really need to. Can I just leave things as be?

Last edited: