[SOLVED] PCIe ethernet is slow compared to router speed ?

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
I'm pretty much at a loss on this. The internet speed when connected via a PCIe card on my computer is much slower than any other computer connected in my house. All of the other computers download at 500Mbps or higher (my isp plan is 1Gbps). But one of my PC's will settle right about 30-50Mbps. when connected to pcie card. I have a TP-Link TG-3468 pcie ethernet adapater. Here are the things I've tried

• Used the default windows drivers that install. As well as downloaded the drivers directly from TP-Links website. No Change using either sets of drivers
  • uninstalled device and reinstalled
  • Tried a TPLink WIFI card, and 2 other ethernet cards (older but still work) and same result. These cards are working in other PCs in the house.
  • Chipset drivers are up to date (Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 3 and Intel i7-7820X)
  • Tried different PCI slots on the computer
  • Different Ethernet Cables
  • Internet properties are set to find ip and dns automatically
  • updated windows to the most recent build, no change. Updated other computes in house as well but they are still at the fast speeds.
I'm just completely out of ideas. Other than this issue the computer is operating normal it seems.

Thanks!

Solution
It says 1000/1000 (Mbps)
If your link speed is 1000 then the ethernet port is working correctly, assuming you have the speed set to AUTO (not forced to gigabit).
Some motherboards include "game enhancer" network software. Do you have any of the Gigabyte network software loaded? Like the cFOS software ? That could be lowering your speedtest to "improve" your gaming.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm pretty much at a loss on this. The internet speed when connected via a PCIe card on my computer is much slower than any other computer connected in my house. All of the other computers download at 500Mbps or higher (my isp plan is 1Gbps). But one of my PC's will settle right about 30-50Mbps. when connected to pcie card. I have a TP-Link TG-3468 pcie ethernet adapater. Here are the things I've tried

• Used the default windows drivers that install. As well as downloaded the drivers directly from TP-Links website. No Change using either sets of drivers
  • uninstalled device and reinstalled
  • Tried a TPLink WIFI card, and 2 other ethernet cards (older but still work) and same result. These cards are working in other PCs in the house.
  • Chipset drivers are up to date (Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 3 and Intel i7-7820X)
  • Tried different PCI slots on the computer
  • Different Ethernet Cables
  • Internet properties are set to find ip and dns automatically
  • updated windows to the most recent build, no change. Updated other computes in house as well but they are still at the fast speeds.
I'm just completely out of ideas. Other than this issue the computer is operating normal it seems.

Thanks!
Were those "Different Ethernet Cabels" directly connected to the router or was there some other hardware (powerline, WIFI, in-wall cabling) between the PC and the router ?

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
They are connected to a switch first then to router. However, I have another PC connected to the same switch via cable and it is getting the fast speeds. Also connected a mac via cable as well because I had one and it's getting the fast speeds which makes me think it has something specifically to do with the computer. It's very bizarre.

kanewolf

Titan
They are connected to a switch first then to router. However, I have another PC connected to the same switch via cable and it is getting the fast speeds. Also connected a mac via cable as well because I had one and it's getting the fast speeds which makes me think it has something specifically to do with the computer. It's very bizarre.
What does the PC say the link speed on your ethernet is ? How to check -- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-determine-wi-fi-and-ethernet-connection-speed-windows-10

kanewolf

Titan
It says 1000/1000 (Mbps)
If your link speed is 1000 then the ethernet port is working correctly, assuming you have the speed set to AUTO (not forced to gigabit).
Some motherboards include "game enhancer" network software. Do you have any of the Gigabyte network software loaded? Like the cFOS software ? That could be lowering your speedtest to "improve" your gaming.

Solution
Why are you using a pci card rather than the built in ethernet port.

So when I pulled your motherboard up I see "Intel® Killer™ DoubleShot™ Pro". I really wish intel had not bought killer and this type of software would just go away.

I am unsure if it will affect a add in card or just the built in devices.

I would uninstall this software. At least its not like some of the killer chips you had to load different drivers also to get rid of it.

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
I'm using the onboard ethernet for something else (music production) on it's own network so the internet traffic doesn't interfere with it. For the AUROS Gaming 3 I didn't see what you are talking about with the DoubleShot, I didn't see that feature listed.

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
download form anywhere. I've tried edge and chrome. I've used the google speed test that pops up when you search. But I also have 3rd party apps that download files and the slower speeds are apparent.

As another thought. How does your other ethernet card get its IP address. Does it have a default gateway set. I assume there are different subnets ?

Windows should be smart enough to not let you mess things up too bad but what happens if you just to test unplug the other ethernet and only use the one going to the internet.

Do you have another device on the network you can run tests with. Maybe see how fast you can copy files. If you really want to test it there is old line mode program called IPERF. This will test transfer between machines in your house. This is a very simple test that is not affected by stuff like browser levels or even cpu or memory. You should see over 900mbps in both directions. If this is good you know your hardware and drivers are ok.

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
Just so that we're all on the same page, what does speedtest.net show?
So speedtest.net says I have 500-600 down. However if I run the google test in browser (either chrome or edge) it says around 40 down. I'm definitely not getting 500 down on the computer in question. I've been just downloading some files from websites like dropbox, wetransfer etc on two computers and this one takes considerable longer while the other computers on my network are fast and reflect the higher speeds. for a 720MB file it took about 4 minutes to download and on every other computer on the network it was less than 10 seconds.

USAFRet

Titan
So speedtest.net says I have 500-600 down. However if I run the google test in browser (either chrome or edge) it says around 40 down. I'm definitely not getting 500 down on the computer in question. I've been just downloading some files from websites like dropbox, wetransfer etc on two computers and this one takes considerable longer while the other computers on my network are fast and reflect the higher speeds.
500 whats?
40 whats?

megabits vs megabytes....
Small b vs large B.

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
So speedtest.net says I have 500-600 down. However if I run the google test in browser (either chrome or edge) it says around 40 down. I'm definitely not getting 500 down on the computer in question. I've been just downloading some files from websites like dropbox, wetransfer etc on two computers and this one takes considerable longer while the other computers on my network are fast and reflect the higher speeds. for a 720MB file it took about 4 minutes to download and on every other computer on the network it was less than 10 seconds.
so I just downloaded iperf. between two pcs on the network I'm getting 938 Mbits/sec. which makes sense. I'm just not sure why the internet isn't using that bandwidth on the one in question.

What happens if you use something like steam to download some large game. Not always the best test because steam does dumb crap but this is more to try to test something that is not browser based.

What is very strange is speedtest shows much faster numbers. This really is a just a browser based download that does not actually keep the file.

When you download files from some random sites you can actually see the rates on the network tab of the resource monitor. I think it is in MBYTES so be careful. I would also try to download something like a window 10 image from microsoft. Microsoft has extremely fast servers and network.

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
What happens if you use something like steam to download some large game. Not always the best test because steam does dumb crap but this is more to try to test something that is not browser based.

What is very strange is speedtest shows much faster numbers. This really is a just a browser based download that does not actually keep the file.

When you download files from some random sites you can actually see the rates on the network tab of the resource monitor. I think it is in MBYTES so be careful. I would also try to download something like a window 10 image from microsoft. Microsoft has extremely fast servers and network.
good idea, but I have tested this as well. I've used other downloading applications instead of just browsers to test the speeds to make sure it wasn't just chrome or some browser issue throttling it. But they all have the same result. On my router I'm actually able to see the real time usage of each device connected and the computer in question always settles in the 30-40Mbps range. While the others use the full bandwidth available. I really am at a loss as I've never seen this. It seems like the hardware is fine due to local network tests. The internet coming into the house is fine. It has something to do with how this machine is processing the internet. I just ran a malware/virus test just to see if something was awry but it came back with nothing. The only other thing I can think of is that there is some app on my computer that is throttling the internet but I've disabled as much as I can see in task manager. It really is weird.

fantasiom

Prominent
Jul 25, 2021
Ok so fixed it! I was digging around online and I found a program called TCP Optimizer. I'm always weary of 3rd party programs that mess with the registry but I'm out of options. I ran it and I couldn't believe it I'm downloading at 600Mpbs now. So at some point in the life of this computer the registry must have gotten messed up somehow. I'm not sure what changed in the registry or how it did but this 3rd party program fixed it. Thanks for all of the troubleshooting help along the way!