[SOLVED] PCIe lanes with Ryzen 5 2600 and B450 chipset

Spyro 999

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
Hi, I am wondering if any of my components would be set to a limited number of PCIe lanes and if any of them would lose performance in this case if I add a PCIe WiFi card.

Here’s my configuration:
Ryzen 5 2600
Asrock B450 steel legend
GTX 1650 SUPER
XPG 512GB NVMe SSD

I’ve always been confused with the number of lanes in the B450 chipset and in witch slot I should put the WiFi card in...

Thank you.

Solution
I dont know the model number yet because it’s a friend of mine who has it but it’s a 1x card...
Would it reduce my gpu to 8x or my ssd to 2x?

No... the B450 chipset is providing 6 PCIe 2.0 lanes. There's enough for the SSD and the WiFi card.

Your CPU is providing the 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes for your GPU.

There'll be no impact on performance if you add that card... you're good to go.
What PCIe Wifi card are you willing to purchase?

They're usually made to slot in these PCIe 2.0 x1 slots on your motherboard:

jzCMbF0.jpg

I dont know the model number yet because it’s a friend of mine who has it but it’s a 1x card...

No... the B450 chipset is providing 6 PCIe 2.0 lanes. There's enough for the SSD and the WiFi card.

Your CPU is providing the 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes for your GPU.

There'll be no impact on performance if you add that card... you're good to go.

Reactions: joannapdmiranda
Solution
The GPU and main M.2 SSD slot uses lanes from the CPU.

The B450M has six lanes to go around. Though using one of them may disable something else on the board. In my case, I had a B450 board where I could use either the second M.2 slot or the x4 PCIe slot. They couldn't be used at the same time.

The GPU and main M.2 SSD slot uses lanes from the CPU.

The B450M has six lanes to go around. Though using one of them may disable something else on the board. In my case, I had a B450 board where I could use either the second M.2 slot or the x4 PCIe slot. They couldn't be used at the same time.

Its exactly the same on the steel legend, second full 16x slot is disabled.