Question PCIe M.2 Adapter Board in an X99 System ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 20, 2024
Well, I seem to have stumbled my way into fixing the basic problem with slow file saves from photoshop. Seems when you open a file from Lightroom to Photoshop, my LR preferences were set to save the file as PSD (seems a logical choice), but changing to TIFF turned a 29 second save to 1 second. Now I need to review how video in Davinci Resolve is doing. At least I have no urgent need to get faster disk performance for daily work.

Maxxify - I have 96GB of DDR4 RAM. (Corsair Vengeance 2500mhz) Much more than I need, yet I still have the urge to fill it out to 128GB just... because... :D

One thought I have had, is a RAM Disk (are they still a thing?) I wonder if anyone makes software for a RAM Disk that slowly will duplicate to a non-volatile disk in the background. I will have to look into that.

Last edited:
Well, I seem to have stumbled my way into fixing the basic problem with slow file saves from photoshop. Seems when you open a file from Lightroom to Photoshop, my LR preferences were set to save the file as PSD (seems a logical choice), but changing to TIFF turned a 29 second save to 1 second. Now I need to review how video in Davinci Resolve is doing. At least I have no urgent need to get faster disk performance for daily work.

Maxxify - I have 96GB of DDR4 RAM. (Corsair Vengeance 2500mhz) Much more than I need, yet I still have the urge to fill it out to 128GB just... because... :D

One thought I have had, is a RAM Disk (are they still a thing?) I wonder if anyone makes software for a RAM Disk that slowly will duplicate to a non-volatile disk in the background. I will have to look into that.
A PSD will necessarily be slower to save. It's saving layers, steps, etc. There's certainly an advantage to retaining a base file of that format, but other formats are faster depending on where it is in the workflow. This is pretty much true of all content creation software. And, yes, RAM disks are still a thing, but as they are volatile they are only useful for niche things. Even something like PrimoCache could be more controllable and effective, but generally the OS does a good job of managing memory. (you should definitely have an uninterruptible power supply/UPS anyway)