PCIe Network adapters

Acomputerguy

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Hi I'm looking at buying a Network adapter for my PC for convenience and poor Ethernet connection. I read that a PCIe network adapter would be the best choice and I was wondering if you merely just slot one of these into the same slot as you would a graphics card. I know this may seem like a stupid question but I just dont seem to be able to see a small network adapter fitting into the same slot that a graphics card would.

P.S if you have any suggestions on a good network adapter please tell me and also would it work with my current build:

an asrock H97M Pro4 with a GTX 1060 already installed on the top slot

Thanks!

Solution
PCIe slots are more or less universal. All that increases with the size of the slot is the available bandwidth.

1x slots are typically what ethernet cards are built for. They can fit into x16 slots, x8 slots, and 4x slots as well.

It is pretty rare to see any physical form factor other than 1x and x16 slots though. Many 16x slots only have pins for 8x, and you will occasionally see open ended PCIe slots that allow any length of card to be installed.

Open ended PCIe 1x slots can have graphics cards installed, but they will be seriously limited in bandwidth. This is okay for some applications though, such as using an array of graphics cards for calculations.

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Looks to me like your board does not support a PCIe network adapter, but I could be wrong. There should be a smaller slot that would fit it (I don't know the technical term)

You may try using a USB network adapter, it's what I use and it seems to work just fine always get 100% signal through a wall. Obviously if you have multiple walls/floors to go through it's not ideal but they are cheap (cheaper than buying new motherboard)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
PCIe slots are more or less universal. All that increases with the size of the slot is the available bandwidth.

1x slots are typically what ethernet cards are built for. They can fit into x16 slots, x8 slots, and 4x slots as well.

It is pretty rare to see any physical form factor other than 1x and x16 slots though. Many 16x slots only have pins for 8x, and you will occasionally see open ended PCIe slots that allow any length of card to be installed.

Open ended PCIe 1x slots can have graphics cards installed, but they will be seriously limited in bandwidth. This is okay for some applications though, such as using an array of graphics cards for calculations.

Solution

dgingeri

Distinguished
That board already has an Intel NIC, so you should be in good shape, unless something is already wrong with it. Your connection issues could be related to either the cable or the port on the switch or router. If you still feel you need to get one, get an Intel i210 or Gigabit CT adapter. Intel is by far the best 1Gb NIC producer. They are a bit pricier, but they're worth it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

You can install a PCIe network adapter in the last slot.

Yep, you just asked a noobs question. :)

While some Mobos have Short PCIe slots to accommodate short cards, you can perfectly sit a short card into a long slot. There is a notched KEY on the board to sit the card where it suppose to, everything is automatic, you just sit that bad boy in, done.

2yNwoj8hrqMZWI3_qf32A0b0vuZxJJoGtxfyE5w7H_cGOMXAn7ET7DioBfhW5l-K00qtjqoOVEL9jz05oJnXYCZlZv0AF2P34fRnzAHzeU4rLY_exTS0K-2HTip7zAeZApWwxGBNWO7pAKKB-qYesioWSB-kUVvr3zLKo_0kvXSUU0ZT2TBozdRUjGBIRimIQLQYDv6s-LpnarTDPcvk0n8Vn4EbH5e4u_NNDV9ZSj0F4AryxevxjK_FcUbe0NqXm4QrFDCAdWwSlJAZMKY4WcZzmZQjYn7Ldj1gMBrhSEx7REqVQcxD0QFz4yI3GlASsnvyWUxxYlWnWVQNG7GTH3rS4-Ys9SdFSZqWuBN3XodGP5KiuLkhvzZmLkpeCgiWJ6xD14c3MXmEO5lU75USKA2ENHawYVWHiJ57aBCA8OjOPWBgl8Ir93R-cQDMWwdS_H6H72nKqGcsAh6Fmo-HdPueupTzCWKWhpVFaFV3Y2h9WuJz-Ugj9Btj3NU8GYI2iR1nxSluIOotQL6MifnIeimvhaAcyAIbb9yoCgBo7BRCycl3t4AsaUzOTKjH04kQXYcdZp5FVH1esW--AYftqSrV_grz1LvtO_CbmAx3q8U0WiDne_RO=w480-h360-no