[SOLVED] Pcie power split?

octavecode

Distinguished
Hey guys i have a quick question.A buddy of mine has a thermaltake 630w smart se and he lost all the modular cables.He is currently running a gpu with a single pcie cable and we want to trade it with a gtx 970 which needs 2 pcie cables. (msi gtx 970 gaming 4g)
The psu has a single 12v rail at 48 amps, can i use a pcie splitter and be done with it?
I believe i can without any problems but im just trying to be sure :p

Solution
The smart SE 630 has the connections necessary for your intended purpose. The only safe way to accomplish your goal is to replace the missing cable and use the PSU in the manner it was designed to be used. As already mentioned, it's not the best PSU for a gaming system to begin with.

Thermaltake Smart SE 630

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Firstly - I would never recommend using an adapter outside of simple Molex fans for the PSU. If it doesn't have the required connections, it usually means it's not appropriate to use the PSU.
Secondly - it's a Smart series Thermaltake, which are awful quality PSUs - so It's not something I'd use in a gaming system anyway.
Thirdly - Tie BOTH of the above together and I think it's asking for trouble IMO.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's a little harsh isn't it? The psu has a 12v single rail at 48amps and i just need 28amps.
Apologies, In what sense do you mean harsh?
It's not a case of how many amps are on the 12V rail, it's case of the quality of the PSU itself. That and the current you're putting through an adapter.
Wattage is useless without quality :)

Not sure if it's down to the cables being lost or if it doesn't have them in the first place, but also not having the correct connection is a sign it wasn't made for that usage.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's a little harsh isn't it? The psu has a 12v single rail at 48amps and i just need 28amps.

It's not a question of wattage. Adequate rated capacity is only one aspect of a PSU. What this PSU lacks is quality. There are very few situations in which you want to use a cheapy PCIE adapter, as these are a common place for fires to start, especially on cheaply made PSUs. This situation is not one of those exceptions. You'll have trouble getting anyone here to give this idea even the slightest endorsement; it's a hard no.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you buy tires for your wife's car, remembering that she's also responsible for driving the kids around, do you buy the cheapest, 30k mile rated tires that you just know will not last that long, will be half bald by the time she gets home in a month? Or do you spend extra for better tires, that have good rain traction, good stopping distance, 50k+ mile ratings and are proven to last for years?

No difference for a psu. You base the entire health, safety and life of the pc on that one decision.

I'd not attempt a splitter, an 18ga 2wire pcie 6pin has a full capacity of 120w. You are asking it to split and supply something that can draw upto 240w with 2x 6pin. It's a fire hazard, melt your cables at your own risk.

Reactions: PC Tailor

octavecode

Distinguished
This PSU has 2x 6+2 pcie cables and we only got 1 the other one is lost.
I thought i could split the cable we got since the psu has a single pcie rail i guess i was wrong.
Thanks for your input guys.

Last edited: