Question PCIe problem

Sep 30, 2019
Hi everyone first post here!

Just put together a new rig. Having some issues but not sure what it is.

B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 - 3600
Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) HX432C16PB3AK2/16 HyperX Predator RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM H(Hynix CJR) (XMP Profile 1) Tried no XMP as well
MSI Gaming X 1080 GTX video
CoolerMaster Real Power M620

If I set the PCI_E1 (main) slot to Auto or PCIe 3.0 in BIOS the system is very unstable and GPU-Z only detects PCIe Gen 1.1. The display will sometime be lost and then return after a few seconds and system may stall and then return after a few seconds at the same time. The event logger was saying there was an issue with the nvidia driver when this happens. Sometime on windows startup I'd get a BSOD with an error about the same driver (nvlddmkm). Wasn't sure what was causing the instabilities but I finally narrowed it down to the PCIe settings. As soon as I switch it to PCIe Gen 2.0 the system runs totally fine with no issues at all. Not an ideal fix however as I'm worried this will gimp the video card. I've tried disabling XMP, fiddling around with CPU settings and using a different video card but same problem is occurring as soon as Auto or Gen 3.0 is selected. I tried the video card in the slower x16 slot and it also works fine there. Interestingly nvidia control panel is recognizing it as Gen 3.0 PCIe
Checked CPU pins for damage ETC.

I've been checking out all the latest BIOS and updated windows, VGA drivers (DDU the video drivers as well) and chipset drivers etc and nothing works. I've been reading around and I believe it may be RAM related. Does anyone have any ideas?