[SOLVED] PCIe riser cable troubles

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Greetings all,
I’m trying to mount my 3080 vertically using the Phanteks vertical GPU mount which is compatible with the O11 dynamic. I have the Phanteks PCIe 3.0 cable and a Linkup PCIe 4.0 cable, and the 3080 is an EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming. The motherboard is a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite WiFi. When the card is plugged directly into the motherboard, I have full functionality and performance. When I plugged it into the Linkup 4.0 PCIe riser, it gave me huge trouble with crap performance and frequent restarts. When I set the BIOS to PCIe 3.0 and tried the Phanteks riser, it wouldn’t even post. The 4.0 riser cable has run a 3070 without problems for several months, as has the 3.0 riser cable. I’m getting good seating on both the motherboard end and the GPU end. Any ideas what could be going wrong here? I’d like to not change cases, but I’m worried about sag if the card stays horizontal and I also can’t close the side panel with it horizontal.

Solution
This has been solved - a couple insulators between the riser and the bracket helped raise it enough that the card could seat properly. Everything is more running as it should with PCIe 4.0 riser and no sag.

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
This has been solved - a couple insulators between the riser and the bracket helped raise it enough that the card could seat properly. Everything is more running as it should with PCIe 4.0 riser and no sag.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Glad to see you got it figured.
  2. I'd not worry too much about sag, as long as it's bolted down good, those end caps are pretty sturdy.
  3. While I can appreciate the looks of a vertical cpu, generally it's not worth the effort of expense with air-cooled cards unless in a case specifically designed for such. You not being able to close the side panel is just going to mean more dusting, especially of fans/heatsinks. Watch your temps closely, if they start to climb, time to clean.