Question PCIe slot #2 reading "empty" in BIOS ?

omgbranden

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm currently running my computer off of integrated intel graphics. because my GPU is not detected in the BIOS. The GPU spins and lights up so I'm unsure what the issue is. I've tried reseating it or slightly adjusting the gpu to see if its maybe a slot issue, but im not sure what the problem is. The card is not defective as I've already tested it.

Build:
Mobo: ASRock z270 killer SLI/AC
Ram: 2x 8 gb Corsair dominators
Cpu: Intel core i5_7600k 3.80GHz
GPU: msi twin frozr 7 1660 ti
PSU: CoolerMaster G550M
Cooler: AK400 DeepCool

I've checked the standoffs and they line up with the motherboard, though I've only screwed 5/6 standoffs, although not ideal. Can the 6th standoff be causing issues? It's aligned with a hole, just not screwed in.

Hello everyone, I'm currently running my computer off of integrated intel graphics, and trying to run it on my GPU but bios isn't detecting it. The GPU spins and lights up so I'm unsure what the issue is. I've tried reseating it or slightly adjusting the gpu to see if its maybe a socket issue, but im not sure what the problem is. The card is not defective as I've already tested it.

Build:
Mobo: ASRock z270 killer SLI/AC
Ram: 2x 8 gb Corsair dominators
Cpu: Intel core i5_7600k 3.80GHz
GPU: msi twin frozr 7 1660 ti
PSU: CoolerMaster G550M
Cooler: AK400 DeepCool

I've checked the standoffs and they line up with the motherboard, though I've only screwed 5/6 standoffs, although not ideal. Can the 6th standoff be causing issues? It's aligned with a hole just not screwed in.
What did you mean by "PCIe slot #2", second x16 slot from top ?
I doubt standoffs are problem, their role is to support MB at distance so 1 or 2 screws are enough to hold it in place.
Likewise, PCIe x16 slot can tolerate a lot of misalignment in all directions.
What's left questionable is that PSU which is not exactly among best and it's real power is questionable.

Reactions: omgbranden

omgbranden

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the reply I referred to the slot as PCIe #2 as the manual labeled it to make it easier and consistent, but it’s the first x16 slot in the board, the first slot is a x4 slot. I can try plugging it into the second available spot, but it’s x8 I believe, just to see if it works. The psu was used up until recently in a build that had similar consumption so I’m not sure if it’s voltage but what app is best to see this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Did you confirm the GPU is compatible with the motherboard? You can check online or contact AsRock. Pay attention to mobo and/or GPU revision.
Compatibility is not 100% guaranteed.

The standoffs are not the problem. Don't worry about the one that's missing. It... uh, happens to us all.

I doubt it's the PCIe slot. More likely the GPU isn't getting enough power. That is a common reason for this type of problem, unless it's a dead GPU.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply I referred to the slot as PCIe #2 as the manual labeled it to make it easier and consistent, but it’s the first x16 slot in the board, the first slot is a x4 slot. I can try plugging it into the second available spot, but it’s x8 I believe, just to see if it works. The psu was used up until recently in a build that had similar consumption so I’m not sure if it’s voltage but what app is best to see this?
Try it in slot 4.
Could be bad slot on the board, bent pins for the CPU, or bad card.

EDIT using it in a X8 slot will make almost no difference at all with that card.

Last edited:

omgbranden

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Try it in slot 4.
Could be bad slot on the board, bent pins for the CPU, or bad card.

EDIT using it in a X8 slot will make almost no difference at all with that card.
Does seem to be a bad slot :/ how unfortunate lol. The second slot is working and is detected in bios, guess ill have to run it in that slot. Also, the edit did make me feel a little better. knowing performance won't take that big of a hit lol. What is the performance efficiency on it do you know, i assumed it would tank by 1/2 lol?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Does seem to be a bad slot :/ how unfortunate lol. The second slot is working and is detected in bios, guess ill have to run it in that slot. Also, the edit did make me feel a little better. knowing performance won't take that big of a hit lol. What is the performance efficiency on it do you know, i assumed it would tank by 1/2 lol?
It would be 1/2 IF the GPU could fully saturate a x16 PCIe slot, but it can't. Nowhere near. The performance penalty is minor.

Many modern intel motherboards will cut the main PCIe x16 slot down to x8 if the main M.2 NVMe slot is also populated. It only marginally affects GPU performance.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
With your card just like I said you will basically see no difference at all. It don't do anything like that 1/2 it would take a much higher end card to make a difference. As shown in the video even at just X4 the 3070 is still respectable.

This is with a much better card RTX 3070 running PCI-E 3.0 X 16, X8 and X4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COcHHX2MdKs