My setup :
GPU : MSI RX 590 armor 8gb OC
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Vega 11
Mobo : MSI B450m Mortar Max / used to be ASRock B450m-HDV
RAM : 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200
PSU : Corsair VS650 80 Plus 650watts
Storage : 512gb Intel 660p m.2 PCIe 3.0
Monitor : AOC g2250VWQ6 21.5"

Long story short the GPU is not detected by the BIOS or the Device Manager , when I go into the BIOS with MSI Board Explore the PCIe x16 slot appears empty despite having the GPU installed.

The setup is 1 month old , until 3 days ago I used it with the integrated graphics Vega 11 and the ASRock B450m-HDV mobo and it ran perfectly.

I installed the GPU and I noticed I did not have any signal, proceeded to use DDU to get rid of the drivers and reinstall them again , that did not work , I switched in BIOS to use the PEG card not the integrated one , it does not work, eventually I went to a repair shop for a quick diagnosis , my GPU works fine on another test computer , but any GPU that was put into mine did not work thus the diagnosis was : faulty PCIe slot.

After that I got the MSI b450m Mortar Max becouse I wanted to upgrade sooner or later to it anyway and was going to send the other mobo in for warranty service.

Now , I just got the Mortar Max a few hours ago , rebuilt the PC , and still while setting up windows there is no signal from the GPU only the integrated one.

I started doing the whole drivers thing again , clean install of the OS , I swapped out the M2 for a normal SSD to see if it works (the 2nd M2 does not work if the 2nd PCIe slot on the mobo is used , despite not using those figured to give it a try) still nothing.

Everything sits flush the power cables are connected the fans on the GPU are spinning , the BIOS is ok, as I mentioned above in the test PC at the repair shop the RX 590 worked but no other card worked in my setup.

The problem is that I cannot make it so the PCIe slot and the card in it to be seen by the system , on 2 motherboards already.

Is there a problem with my configuration? or I'm missing something?
Is there someone with this configuration that had or not this issue?

Solution
Is it possible that there is an extra unneeded standoff left installed under the board that is grounding out one of the solder traces or points?
For example: The MSI board does not use the same standoff pattern that the Asrock board used. (bottom area)
Nov 3, 2019
Do you have both 6+2 pin connectors firmly and all the way in the card's 2 x 8-pin headers?
Is the card fully inserted in the PCIe x16 slot?
Yep , as I mentioned the rx590 worked on a test PC at a repair shop , but any GPU placed on mine didn't , think they tried even with a GPU that does not need power connectors.

Also in the new MSI BIOS when I go to board explore and I place the cursor over the PCIe slot it just says "empty".

Nov 3, 2019
Got a breakthrough , the 2nd PCIe slot works it sees my GPU , but I had to take the PSU out becouse I have a micro atx case , was going to upgrade sooner or later .

My case at the moment is a Corsair Carbide 88r micro atx , being a small space is there the possibility of a short or something that disables the main PCIe slot?

Would upgrading to a bigger case solve the issue?

On my original mobo the ASRock I only had 1 PCIe slot situated at the same height of the MSI one.

UPDATE:
Vega 11 detected but seen as having an error 43 code.

Decided to do a DDU delete and clean install of the drivers with the RX 590 in the 2nd slot , got an error drivers just partially installed just for the RX 590 , integrated GPU is listed but seen as faulty.

Im guessing there's a problem with the CPU that clashes with the main PCIe slot?

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Is it possible that there is an extra unneeded standoff left installed under the board that is grounding out one of the solder traces or points?
For example: The MSI board does not use the same standoff pattern that the Asrock board used. (bottom area)

Solution
Nov 3, 2019
Just had it build completely out of case only with the power switch connected , gpu in first PCIe slot not detected.

EDIT - This far I did :

-build outside the case ;
-DDU and drivers ;
-2nd PCIe slot on MSI b450m works fine ;
-BIOS is up to date ;
-ran it with only 1 stick or ram memory and alternated the 2 I've got ;
-checked the CPU pins for bends all ok ;
-Windows 10 home up to date ;
-checked with 2 motherboards ;

When the 2nd PCIe slot is used the Vega 11 appears with an ! mark in Device Manager and AMD Adrenalin does not detect it, all I can think of is : faulty CPU with integrated card.

I will go back in a few days to the repair shop to check with a different CPU and will keep this updated with the results might save someone else from some trouble in the future.

Thank you guys so much for the troubleshooting tips and in the meantime if you got any other suggestions leave them here and I will try them out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.