[SOLVED] PCIe Soundcard into laptop

alex.jabennett

Reputable
May 15, 2018
Hey all!

I'm currently selling my desktop, but keeping the Asus STXII soundcard, as I wish to use that in my next build. To bridge the long gap between now and the next desktop, I'm going to be using my laptop.

As I have some demanding headphones (Sennheiser HD650s), due to their large input impedance of 300 ohms, the laptop's onboard soundcard just doesn't do them justice.

The question:
To save having to buy an external amplifier, I'm hoping to make use of the STXII as an external soundcard in a similar fashion to an external GPU. Does such a method work without getting rid of the onboard WiFi or PCIe SSD cards within my laptop (i.e., a PCIe-USB interface, such as this one found on Overclockers UK )?

Any help with this is most appreciated!

Best,
Alex

Solution
Hey all!

I'm currently selling my desktop, but keeping the Asus STXII soundcard, as I wish to use that in my next build. To bridge the long gap between now and the next desktop, I'm going to be using my laptop.

As I have some demanding headphones (Sennheiser HD650s), due to their large input impedance of 300 ohms, the laptop's onboard soundcard just doesn't do them justice.

The question:
To save having to buy an external amplifier, I'm hoping to make use of the STXII as an external soundcard in a similar fashion to an external GPU. Does such a method work without getting rid of the onboard WiFi or PCIe SSD cards within my laptop (i.e., a PCIe-USB interface, such as this one found on Overclockers UK )?

Any help with this is...

I didn't figure out how this thing would wok for you.

Personally I would sell the card separately and buy an external USB 3.0 amplifier with equal or better quality.

If you want to keep the card, you should search for an USB 3.0 to PCI-E converter, I have a couple of PCI-E to USB 3.0 card but not the other way around.

Hey all!

The question:

Any help with this is most appreciated!

Best,
Alex
That sound card has full size PCIe interface not found in Laptops which eventually have only mini or micro PCIe.
Adapter you linked for is USB to USB, nothing to do with PCIe.

Solution