[SOLVED] PCIe to MVMe Adapter?

Solution
boards w/o a MVMe slot)

Old motherboards usually have no support in BIOS for booting from NVMe (non-volatile memory express) host controller interface.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that adapter uses 4 lanes or x4. so you'd have to plug it into a pcie slot with at least 4 lanes available to it, which will depend on the motherboard's configuration

real world performance of these drives is really not worth the effort. put that few bucks into a better/bigger sata ssd and know you'll still be getting awesome speed.

when testing these drives it takes a very specific workload to realize the speed advantages. the average user is highly unlikely to ever manage such a workload.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Dang! You're right. It is x4. Then an x1 adapter (if available) would lessen performance. Guess that was a bad idea.

Edit: Just noticed. The board I'm using has a 2nd PCIe x16 slot that is x4 lanes electrically. I could use that. So, I'm back to my original question: would the adapter allow full performance from a PCIe x4 MVMe drive?

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
in theory it would offer the same pcie lanes as an x4 m.2 slot.

i've not seen any testing done on those adapters to know if there is any performance lost using them. never really looked for one though so someone out there may have done some testing on them.