Question PCIe WiFi card prevents the PC from shutting down ?

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
Hi all
I've recently installed a PCIe network card as the old USB 2.0 WiFi adapter could not keep up with the fast wifi.
This is the WiFi card:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FSG5W9Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
And I got the drivers from here
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...eless-software-and-drivers-for-windows-7.html

The only issue is that now when I try to turn off the pc the keyboard light turns off, the monitor goes into standby but all the fans are spinning and the only way to turn it off fully is to hold the power button.
I have turned off the following
- Allow the device to wake the computer
-Wake on magic pattern
Wake on pattern match
- Sleep and hibernation in windows
- Deep sleep in bios
-Intel Rapid start in bios

None of which helps. Resetting CMOS does not help either. Is there something else anyone can think of or am I going to have to accept that I'll have to get a different adapter.

Lutfij

Titan
From your second link, I can deduce that you're on Windows 7. If that's the case, AX200 support is nonexistent for Windows 7. If you're not working with Windows 7, please mention which OS you're on at this moment of time. If you can source an optical drive, perhaps see if you can run the driver disc the adapter comes with;
View: https://youtu.be/0Vt1J9JqFpk

You should also mention the make and model of your motherboard and the BIOS version.

Bizarre problem made even more confusing by the photos. So the photo for the item say ac/ax and the video link lutfij also show this same card. I wonder how the guy who made the video made a very basic mistake like that. In the video he shows the interface on windows when he installs the driver and it clearly says it runs intel ac7265. Why does his title say ax210.

My guess is the PCIE card itself is the same no matter what chipset they mount on the board and they manufactured these with the board for the newer technology. If you look at the product photos on ubit site for the actual ac7265 it does not have the ac/ax marking on the circuit board.

That just got me sidetracked since running the newer cards on windows7 is a challenge. Some can be made to work but in this case the intel 7265 is old enough that intel officially supports it.

Does not make a lot of sense that it does not shut down. Most times you get warning complaining that some process won't stop but then windows shuts down. It is has been so long since I say windows7 I forget if it also works that way.

Maybe the event viewer will give you a clue. I have no idea what the real issue is but I doubt it is a driver issue. Can you try a different pcie slot.

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
ASRock Z77 Pro4 and Yes it's win 7
Windows shuts down just fine I don't need to press force shutdown nor am I stuck on windows is shutting down. The power is still supplied to everything, all the fans and drives are spinning but the monitor gets no signal from the gpu.
if I press power button once nothing happens and if I press reset the pc seems to takes forever to register it before it actually resets.
New components are on the way and I'll jump on win 10 soon enough but I don't know if that'll make a difference.
I can't run the driver disk as I don't have anything to put the disk into.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Things to try…

From the command prompt, try “shutdown /f” (forcing any open programs to close)
Run the system filechecker. (SFC /scannow)”
Remove the NIC and see if it shuts down properly
Do a safeboot and then attempt shutdown
System restore to a point before new NIC installation.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I should have specified safe mode without networking with the card in.
Try disabling the NIC in device manager and perform a shutdown with the card in.
If it works, remove the driver, reboot and see if it works.

vuko_d

Honorable
Jun 29, 2018
Trying to turn the pc off in safe mode with networking resulted in getting frozen on windows shutting down screen.
Disabling the device does not help, still no shutdown.

The rest of new parts are arriving today so we might as well leave this for now and see of the problem is still there when I install win 10 in the next few days.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS