[SOLVED] PCIE X 16 splitter for NVME

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
Hello friends :)

I have a rather limited amount of NVME on my MB, 2 slots to be precise, and only two pcie x16 which I am nearly sure actually works at 16/16 or at worst 16/8, which is also fine.

its Gigabyte Auros Elite x570 with Ryzen 7 3700xt cpu

If I put an x4 pcie to nvme connector I get my nvme speeds as normal. about 4gb read/write etc.

buuuuuuut I want to have MOAR SSD nvmes, so I bought an Aliexpress PciE x 4 to 4 PCIE x16 lanes, which each has its own data power connection, but with it, my nvme speed drops to 400.... is there a FULL x16 splitter that will actually use the whole 16 lanes or at least 8, not just 4? I'm guessing that's where the problem lies.

i couldn't find any splitter that uses the whole 16 lanes by myself, hence turning to your assistance.

thanks!

Solution
I found this board for 200$ Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master it has 3 nvme ports and 3 pcie gen 4 x16 ports, good purchase?
The board has 3 M.2 slots.
First PCIE x16 slot works at x16 mode.
With second PCIE x16 slot populated both (first and second) PCIE x16 slots switch into x8 mode.
Third PCIE x16 slot works in x4 mode.
and only two pcie x16 which I am nearly sure actually works at 16/16 or at worst 16/8, which is also fine.
First PCIE x16 slot runs at x16.
Second PCIE x16 slot runs at x4.

So you can use M.2 to PCIE adapter with 4 M.2 drives in first PCIE x16 slot only.
In second PCIE x16 slot only one M.2 drive will be operational with same adapter.

Dell-4x-m2-NVMe-Drive-PCIe-Card.jpg

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
mostly things that i need to load faster than sata would...

should I consider mb upgrade? is there something sensible for my cpu or I will have to upgrade the whole system?

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
i have a really good quality pcie x16 to 4 nvme cards, so if I can get a board with 3 nvme ports and 2 pcie x16, I'm good right? question is, is it worth 200$ mobm upgrade?

thanks

mostly things that i need to load faster than sata would...

should I consider mb upgrade? is there something sensible for my cpu or I will have to upgrade the whole system?
The first thing is STOP looking at benchmark numbers.
Users get those big numbers dancing in their eyeballs and think they must have this....non-sense.
The diff in real world perf between a sata ssd and a nvme ssd is minor.

You have 2 m.2 slots which is ample for 99% of users.
Need more space?
Get bigger m.2 ssd's or start fitting in 2.5 ssd's.

TRENDING THREADS