Question PCPartPicker but for servers

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Hello, does anyone know of a website like PCPartPicker, but for servers? I want to put together a server to make sure everything works and is compatible, similar to how PCPartPicker works, but there is no AMD EPYC Rome options for the CPU. It could have RAID cards, single/dual socket motherboards, hyper cards, stuff like that. Specialized server cases in tower, rack, or blade form factors, server coolers, racks, etc.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I agree. When I was building my server, I started with the motherboard and then started looking for compatible parts. This was long before PC Part Picker, but I'd follow the same steps. Start with a server motherboard and then let it narrow down the compatible options from there.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: helper800
Hello, does anyone know of a website like PCPartPicker, but for servers? I want to put together a server to make sure everything works and is compatible, similar to how PCPartPicker works, but there is no AMD EPYC Rome options for the CPU. It could have RAID cards, single/dual socket motherboards, hyper cards, stuff like that. Specialized server cases in tower, rack, or blade form factors, server coolers, racks, etc.

Something like that won't have much of an audience since most places that buy real servers do so from OEM vendors to get full system support and OS configuration (companies), and anyone that would be looking to build a sever with server parts would know what they need to look at already (consultants and students).

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
We can assume you've run their calculator for expected 'payout'?

From what I see, it barely pays for the electricity.
Not counting your upfront cost of buying the hardware.
Upon further investigation, I would probably just connect a few mediasonic 8 bay enclosures to a low power Windows 10 desktop and just use storage spaces. Also I found a very good deal on some 6tb hard drives. I dont think the mediasonic 8 bay enclosures with an i3 8100 or 9100 or an Athlon 200ge or 3000g just using the iGPU on either system is going to be anywhere close to $1000 of electricity a year, even $150 a year for energy would be a stretch. Plus I can take advantage of the leftover data speeds so it would basically make me money.