PCs won't boot (No monitor display, no power to mouse/keyboard)

Tez20

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
This is what has happened, step by step:

I took apart my new 2 month old PC build and put in a new nvidia graphics card. Then it wouldn't boot. There is no display on the monitor and the blue backlit mouse and keyboard are not powered. The power button does not work, and I am forced to power off via PSU switch.

I opened the case and the fans connected to the motherboard were not spinning. However, fans directly connected to the PSU, such as the graphics card fans, did spin. I RMA the asus mobo and put in a new gigabyte mobo. All the fans spin now, and the power on/off botton works again.

I test the mouse, keyboard, and monitor on my old PC, which was confirmed working. These three components appear to all work fine. I test the old PCs ram in my new PC. Problem persists. I add in the old pc's PSU to the new pc. Problem persists. I add in the old pc's radeon GPU to the new pc. Problem persists.

I gave up on the new PC. I put all the old pc parts back into the old pc. Now the old PC won't boot and has the same problems!

This is a pattern. I take apart a PC and it breaks. I checked ALL the plugs thoroughly and re-seated all the components many times. I was using a static wrist band clamped onto the metal case. Why did this happen to me? So frustrating! Have spent hours trying to get my new PC to boot and now it happens to my old one. I even removed the cmos battery from the old one for 30 min. Nothing. It seems too coincidental...but i just don't know what to do anymore. I ordered mobo speakers...they wont get here for a week maybe.

New PC:
[strike]Asus M5a99fx pro r 2.0 Mobo[/strike] (RMA'd)
990fxa-ud3 rev 4 gigabyte Mobo
1300w rosewill lightning PSU
GTX 770 4gb gigabyte GPU
16gb (2 x 8gb) 240-pin ddr3 sdram ddr3 1600 g.skill ripjaws x series RAM
fx-8350 AMD vishera 8 core CPU @ 4.0ghz
thor v2 rosewill full tower case
windows 8.1 (well at least on the old mobo that I RMAd)

Old PC:
500w rosewill stallion PSU
intel dual core cpu @3.2ghz
radeon 7850 2gb GPU
4 x 2gb ram 1300
mobo: not sure, this was a premade system that i upgraded a while ago with the PSU and GPU
windows 7