Peculiar Shutdown Problem

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
tl;dr - I cleaned my computer, and now it shuts down whenever I lay it down vertically but it's fine when I lay it down horizontally.

I've had this computer for over a year, and today I took it to my work to get it cleaned (there's a air pump there). I placed it in my car and then took off. I cleaned out all the dust at my work and then took it back home.

I reconnected all my chords, and it shutdowns whenever I try and open it (at two main times, usually right after the motherboard beep or right after it logs in). After hours upon hours of trying to figure out whats wrong I've finally found out, if I lay my computer horizontally then it would work whilst if I laid it down vertically, it would shut down.

I asked around and my friends have said the most probably reason for this is a shortage in their somewhere, but I don't exactly know where. Where would the most logical place for the shortage be?

uniqueflame

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Yeh, I will :). For the people who somehow don't get how the horizontal/vertical thing worked, it's that when I put it horizontally, the CPU Heatsink was pushed into the CPU due to gravity. Whilst vertically, it leaned away and the CPU overheated and my computer shut.