Status
Not open for further replies.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
"We've always been a been of the OLPC initiative"
I assume you meant "Been a fan"

Anyhoo.

Good idea. I can also see that as a helpful tool for overweight kids in industrialized nations.

G

Ha. This belongs in America, not Afghanistan. Gotta get this fat country in shape.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
i think this might cure internet addiction, for kids who are obese, if we were to go with the stereotype of how internet addicts are obese.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I've actually thought of getting one of those pedal powered exercise bikes for doing long sessions of desktop work... can this work to store a charge as well? It would be cool if kids could plug it into their bicycle and as they pedal to school or wherever, it would charge the battery

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Soon it will be Pedal-Powered Mobile phones.

It would be better (damn posted before me), if this was used to power huge battery that would store the power till its needed, such as when areas such as afghanistan, where having power 24/7 is a known problem, can just easily connect their electric devices to this battery, during a power outage.

Ofc the alternative is a generator.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Nice idea.

I don't think you'll have to pedal too much, The XOs don't have significant power consumption.

[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]These are awesome. We definitely need them here too. Lower your body-mass index and your carbon footprint! Ha ha.[/citation]

+1. Haha..I could imagine this tech being implemented on today's high end notebooks. Buy a Core i 920XM with Sli GTX 280M + 640 GB x 2 in RAID 0, and a huge 12 cell battery, excellent for two hours of juice and a pedal system for recharging.

In less than a week, no magic fat-to-thin-in-less-than-a-week pill or some strange utopian natural herb is going to match the exercise you'll be doing on this aerobic desktop replacement.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
need to get a pedal powered charger for my netbook! Just the other weekend there was a power outage for several hours and me and my friend were resorting to playing mario kart on it, I didnt have the battery fully charged when the power went out, if i had this it wouldnt have mattered!

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
"Ha. This belongs in America, not Afghanistan. Gotta get this fat country in shape."

Australia is now ranked above the U.S. in obesity.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
[citation][nom]asjflask[/nom]"Ha. This belongs in America, not Afghanistan. Gotta get this fat country in shape."Australia is now ranked above the U.S. in obesity.[/citation]

In a couple of years we'll have American's become the most muscular people in the world, when it comes to legs at least :p

G

It's great to have a laptop in the country side, but what are you going to do with it, when it has no internet connection?

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Great, that's what we want, healthy terrorists with strong legs for when they run towards us to blow us up to smithereens. I can't wait to see the Taliban's training video...

Status
Not open for further replies.