Question Peer to Peer Network Optimization and Testing

Jul 31, 2019
Small office with two identical computers setup for basic file sharing and using two applications that share data for accounting and shipping.

The one computer stores the data files for the network applications and the other computer accesses them.

Performance on the computer that hosts the files is fine. The other computer runs these applications substantially slower.

Are there any best practices for peer to peer networks outside of making sure firewall and ports allow applications through?

Does the router effect the LAN speeds? Network cables are CAT 6 and have a ASUS RT-AC66U router with everything on a wired connection.

The transfer speed when copying a file 2 GB between the two computers is 50 -60 mb/s, should this be faster? Copying the same file locally is 250 mb/s if that has any bearing on things.

Trying to make sure that the "network" applications are running as well as possible on both machines and I'm not sure really how to test or possibly improve things.

I will assume you are talking 2 different machines at the same location.

The router pretty much has no impact. You can't even filter data with the firewail even if you wanted to. The lan ports on the back of the router function as a small switch. It used to be a separate chip it is now on the same physical chip but still function as a separate chip.

Pretty much the machines should not be restricted in any way by this connection.

There are so many variables involved, this is why people that do storage networks are specialized compared to your more normal network. Most requires a lot of knowledge on disk and file structures.

If you just want to test your network there is a line mode program called iperf. It is very simple program that only tests the network and the network drivers. Disk,memory,cpu have little to no effect. You should see rates well over 900mbps.

Jul 31, 2019
Yes, two machines in the same location and running 6' network cable from the machines to the router.

I can't help but think the file copy speed and network application speed should be much better since nothing should be hindering performance.

The large file copy speed has been my only benchmark for communication between the two computers previously. I will attempt to dig into the iPerf a little, seems like a lot of options to sort through as far as what i need to run in the command line to test.

I appreciate the reply.

Jul 31, 2019
Tested with iPerf and looks to be 300 Mbits/sec speed between the two machines on the first test and then several more tests came in around 700-800 Mbits/sec

Jul 31, 2019
For max performance u should do PC1 <---> Ethernet Switch <---> PC2.

A typical home WIFI router may not have enough juice to push 1 gbit of what its ports are capable of.

U will still be handicapped by mechanical drives.

Thank you for the reply. So something like a NETGEAR Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS305) would help optimize things in terms of transfer speeds? Both are currently running solid state drives.