Pegatron, Nvidia Show Off Bamboo Mini HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
A Small HTPC that you can hide behind a wall mounted LCD is always a good thing. If you could load XBMC on it then i would be sold.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
A teeny tiny media device like this must be limited on storage space, if this is (most likely) the case, then having to run an ethernet (or maybe USB?) cable to it is an inelegant solution if you are placing it either hidden from view or just anywhere in the living room. WiFi stands out as a serious omission in my view

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]If it had a SSD or USB flash drive support I might get it. Otherwise what's the point?[/citation]

Cheap Media Server

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]Why the cheap 1980's woodgrain?[/citation]

Err, they said its bamboo... which is actually pretty 'fashionable' at the moment... 80's wood grain effect looked very different to this. Also if you look at the photo's on engadget's site its clearly real bamboo and not a veneer (which I assume is what you mean by 'wood grain effect'), and looks pretty good because of it too.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]If it had a SSD or USB flash drive support I might get it. Otherwise what's the point?[/citation]

The engadget photo's show two usb slots... i dont think flash drive support is likely to be overlooked given the presence of ports.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I don't care if it IS real bamboo. It still reminds me of my father's Oldsmobile. Yuck. And using bamboo isn't green either. A bamboo shortage is threatening the Panda population. Has been like that for years.

okoaomo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]A Small HTPC that you can hide behind a wall mounted LCD is always a good thing. If you could load XBMC on it then i would be sold.[/citation]

There is not much out there better than XBMC...

okoaomo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I'm sure it will have some lame attempt at an OS that will pale in compare to XBMC. Thus you will have to port your own version to it and waste many hours getting it to your own GUI standards.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Did they use the left over wood screws from the Fermi demo?

Looks cool, but I'll wait on real specs. Until then it's no better than a block of wood.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Well, at this point, Tegra 2 is more interesting to me than Fermi.

Just imagine the possibilities. If you can have a system this small and work well, then the impact for the tablet market will be great! :D

twist3d1080

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]I don't care if it IS real bamboo. It still reminds me of my father's Oldsmobile. Yuck. And using bamboo isn't green either. A bamboo shortage is threatening the Panda population. Has been like that for years.[/citation]

Bamboo is considered green because its renewable and grows damn near anywhere. Pretty damn fast I might add, at least here in the States. Bamboo shortages in China are do to a life cycle fluxuation of the species of bamboo that the pandas eat. The type of bamboo used in the manufacture of furniture, flooring and the htpc, are not in anyway threating the pandas. Thanks for being a negative nancy. :p

G

Sigh, the trend continues. Nvidia and Tom's Hardware need to realize that box news isn't good news.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Of course, it's also got Nvidia's Tegra 2 inside (announced at CES in January), which we know runs Android or Windows CE and is capable of 1080p and Flash video.

That doesn't sound like a PC. Oh, wait, Nvidia has no x86 license.
There are lots of external hard drives with media playback and network capabilities on the market, yet nobody calls them PCs...

In my book, you need to be able to support a full x86 OS in order to call the thing a PC.

Besides, Tegra is supposed to be a mobile chipset. So why the long faces at the size? It probably also fits a 2.5 notebook HDD comfortably in there. And it must have an external power brick supplying the juice.

No surprises here, but I won't argue the capabilities of Tegra 2, which are nevertheless quite impressive.

groundhogdaze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Pegatron sounds like it could be Megatron's femme-bot wife. The evil Peg-atron. Throw in Nvidia's Optimus and you'll have a Decepticon body with an Autobot heart :)

Status
Not open for further replies.